Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thankful Thursday




So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
~Colossians 2:6-7~


Sunday ten of the teenagers in our church entered the waters of baptism. The youth band played some of their favorite songs. Testimonies were heard of how Jesus changes their lives and how they want being baptized to encourage their friends. Tears were shed by mothers and fathers and Sunday School teachers and friends as we rejoiced in their decision! So, in their honor:

* Today I am Thankful for those ten young people and their example.

* I am thankful that one of those young persons invests her life in my girls' lives as their babysitter and will be a wonderful role model for them.

* I am thankful that the unchurched parents of one those young persons came to the service. I pray that they heard the gospel message that was clearly preached.

* I am thankful for the joyous sound of singing and instruments playing. "Be Thou My Vision" and "In Christ Alone" has never sounded better than led by a youth band that exudes love for God.

* I am thankful for a youth pastor who for the last two years has poured his heart into these kids and took seriously the call to disciple young people. I believe he saw just a sliver of the reward on Sunday.

* I am thankful for the symbolism of baptism and what it represents. I am grateful that 33 years (!) after my own baptism, the wonder and the reverence of that moment never leaves me.

Father God, today I ask that you continue to pour out your blessings on these ten, their family and their friends. Give us, their church family, wisdom to help them grow in their walk with you. Thank you for your saving grace and the symbol of new life through baptism. Amen.

For other Thankful Thursday posts, please visit Iris at Sting My Heart.

6 comments:

Denise said...

Such an inspirational post, thanks for sharing sweetie.

JLaine said...

that's a great blessing to see the youths come forward and seriously commit their lives to God.

God bless!

Laurie Ann said...

Awesome list! I'm so glad they made a decision for Christ and wanted to encourage others by following in baptism. God bless you for your sweet comment on my TT post. Happy Thankful Thursday!

Kristi said...

Hallelujah! That is a fantastic TT. Blessing to you.

Kristin said...

I Love starting the day with one of your posts. It always makes me feel so content.

Darlene said...

Wonderful news! I agree it is awesome to see teenagers making a move for God.
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Darlene