Friday, December 10, 2010

Journey to Advent--Day Eleven

Photobucket

Isaiah 7:10-17

Ahaz is in trouble. Despite his obvious disobedience, God longs to rescue him and his people. God send the prophet to tell Ahaz to ask for a sign from God to show that he is with Ahaz. But Ahaz is not only disobedient, his is arrogant as well. And he refuses. Even as he claims that he "would not test God" that is indeed what he is doing.

The prophet is exasperated. But God gives a sign anyway. A sign of hope in the future. "Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." (v 14) But it was also the foretelling of the destruction of Ahaz's kingdom before that time.

God offered a sign, but in arrogance Ahaz refused. God gave the sign anyway. We shake our heads in amazement that someone would refuse a sign from God. But... I wonder if I do not do the same.

God speaks to me in the Scripture, I close my Bible and do something else rather than hear him. He displays his glory in all creation and I rush past hardly giving it a glance. How many signs have I missed because of my busyness, my apathy and yes even my arrogance? I wonder...

Father God, help me to have eyes that see the signs of you all around me. As you prepare my heart of the coming of your son this Christmas, take away the arrogance that clouds my vision. Give me clear vision to see you. Amen.

No comments: