Tuesday, August 14, 2007

In Other Words--Wilderness Blessings and Mercy




"Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name..."
~ Matt Redman ~
Lyrics from "Blessed be Your Name"


When I saw the quote that Iris had chosen for this week's In Other Words, I knew I had to write. Matt Redman is one of the most gifted songwriter's of this generation. And this is one of my favorite of his songs. It resonates with the ebb and flow of easy faith versus chosen faith in my life.

Easy faith is when everything is going well. I have no issues with serving Christ when my life is smooth. When the bills are paid, the sun is shining, German is happy at work, the girls are well and/or listening to my guidance I can happily serve God. When I'm standing in the congregation and the praises of His people are so clearly soaring to heaven, I can praise Him. During times of easy faith, it is well, easy, to say that God's Name is blessed.

But then there are the other times. There are the times that things are not going as smoothly. The days when no matter what approach I take, the girls are not listening or obeying. The days when German is struggling with leading with integrity in a business world that doesn't honor it. The days when outgo is exceeding inflow and it is all *necessities*. You know the days...they are just hard. They are wilderness days. And those are the days of chosen faith. When things aren't easy and yet we still choose to honor God and His Name. When we can't see the end, but we choose to say that God is still Faithful. The days of chosen faith are so sweet.

I want to be able to say that I would always choose faith. But the truth is, without the wilderness times, the ability and desire to choose faith is not developed. We cannot develop the perseverence to choose faith when it is easy. I've learned that the past two or three years in the wilderness of shallow friendship that I have found myself. A few years ago, I had a deep, accountability laden friend. But God allowed that friendship to be systematically taken away through her bitterness, my unwillingness to overlook the condition of her heart, other circumstances and finally her leaving England. Soon after, God gave me another dear, dear friend--and then moved her half-way around the world. (She and I are still wonderful friends and if you are reading this sweetie we will chat about Believing God soon!) And since she left, there has been nothing. I have *friends*, but not share-the-depths friends. I have yearned for a deep friendship where my heart can be shared. Having had that in the past, I know the value of it. Yet, I have found myself having to choose to believe that God is my friend. It is so much easier to believe that when I can see Him shining in the life of a tangible-in-front-of-me friend. Yet He shows me evidences everyday that He cares about the little things in my life (like finding the same *strangers* in London again and again). In this wilderness, He is teaching me to choose Him. I trust He will bring me another friend in His timing. But today, I choose to trust Him and Bless His Name.

"You give and take away.
You give and take away.
My heart will choose to say,
'Lord Blessed be Your Name."
~Matt Redman, Blessed be Your Name~


Or in the words of Steve Camp, a songwriter for a previous generation,
"Every day that I walk with You
You break me down and You make me new,
Though my faith is tried, this I know is true
There is Mercy in the Wilderness."
~Steve Camp/Rob Frazier, Mercy in the Wilderness~


What wilderness has God led you into? If He hasn't yet led you out, are you choosing to trust Him? If He has led you out, are you able to share the stories of the wilderness to encourage others? I pray that you have found Him faithful and merciful in your wilderness times.

Father, You know my heart's desire for a God-based, local and physical friendship. I cannot pretend to understand why you have chosen to take that away. But I do know that in the absence of people You lead me to trust You more. Lord, teach me in this wilderness to trust and to believe. Mold me into the woman You intend for me to be. May I be patient as I wait. And when You choose to lead me out of the wilderness, Lord I pray that You will not allow me to forget the pain and the mercy, so that I may share that with others. I love You and want to trust You more. Amen.

Iris at Sting My Heart is our hostess this week. Go visit her and see what others are saying about this awesome quote. You will be blessed!

17 comments:

Tami said...

You are a model of trust, MiPa. I pray God brings you the deep friendship you desire and until He does, pray for His love to cover you. Much love, friend.

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

Oh I loved when you said, "But the truth is, without the wilderness times, the ability and desire to choose faith is not developed" that is sooo true.

Anonymous said...

Praying that God will encourage you in this time and that He would give you the desire of your heart. Blessings as you wait on Him...

Anonymous said...

I think the roughest desert, other than than sickness and death, comes when their are times of lack of fellowship with other believers. I am currently in that place (the Lord is bringing, today, a friend from 12 hours away that I haven't seen in a year and I am so overjoyed because it has been some time since I have been around a friend I can talk to beyond the basic "how are you's".) God is good and gives us those desert places so we grow but also so we appreciate the fellowship when we find it. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

You break me down and You make me new

Oh, isn't that so true.

Blessings and Joy to you...

Crystal said...

Wow powerful post! Thank you for sharing it! All I can say is Amen!
Blessings

eph2810 said...

MiPa - You said it so well. Yes, we have to trust Him that He will lead us in the desert years - I have been there and I know I will be there again. With Him by my side and His 'track-record' I know that I do not need to be afraid.

I hope and pray that our Lord will send you some friend that you can hang out with and can confide in.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this week's IOW quote.

Blessings to you and yours.

Jennifer said...

"Easy faith versus chosen faith..." We so want the easy faith and would so often take it if given the choice. How right you are that "the days of chosen faith are so sweet." Thank you for that reminder...

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Well well put!!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

And, thanks for visiting my blog!

Aunt Angie said...

Those are wonderful thoughts---"When we can't see the end, but we choose to say that God is still Faithful" ministered especially to me today.
I think we have all been in the those places in our lives....thank the Lord for all His blessings and for the precious friends that He brings into our lives!

Changed by His Love said...

Very well written!!! I liked what you said about easy faith...it's a constant change in mindset to praise Him during the easy and most troubling times.

Believer said...

I have experienced where you are and embrace the contentment in being in this "perfect" place, where I can be perfected and used to my fullest potential. Often we are meant to be loners so that we can go through a process of purification or sanctification because where we are going we need more of Him!

Heavenly Voice

Chocolate and Coffee said...

Great blog! Thanks for sharing from your heart.

Blessings to you.

Bonnie W said...

Finding those deep abiding friendships is so important - even Jesus had His "inner circle."

Over the years in ministry, God has blessed me with a number of dear friends and confidants, without whom I couldn't have made it through the struggles and stresses of life in the "glass" parsonage.

But always, He has brought me back to the most improtant need in my life - that intimate deep and abiding friendship with Him.

I will be praying for you and believe He will hear the cry of your heart.

God bless!
Bonnie W

Believer said...

Ready In And Out Of Season

I had to expand on my comments. You know how that works!

Be blessed...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog :)

God bless!