Thursday, August 09, 2007

I AM--Lesson Twelve, A Face With The Name



What a blessing it is every week to work through the questions that Lisa at The Preacher's Wife proposes in this awesome Bible Study. God is opening my eyes to things I can't even put into words. I pray that you will be blessed by the lesson as well. The background passages are Exodus 33 and John 14. I have long loved Moses' plea for God not to send them forward without His presence. But this week it is John 14:8-9 that is teaching me the most:
Philip said, "Lord show us the Father and that will be enough for us". Jesus answered, "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father."


Praying that you recognize the Father this week as He reveals Himself.

Burning Questions


1. We discussed how we are God's fame and He is ours. Have you ever been in a situation where you are applauded for your ministry and had to fight back the idol of pride? Ever been tempted to believe your own press? It's okay to admit it! Your testimony will help others in their resolve!
(warning, this answer is an epistle!)
I'm a Bible teacher. I love teaching Scripture. I love doing the word studies and the background work and knowing the little tidbits to help bring the lesson to life. And I often get comments on the work that I do. Notice that phrase, that I do. *sigh* I believe that Satan uses this as a common temptation to make Bible teachers ineffective. He wants us to believe that we are doing the studying and doing the teaching and effecting lives. He wants us to believe our own press. And I have totally been guilty of it--and then found myself bewildered that the class was not being blessed for my efforts. God continually teaches me that He has Bible study groups--and He graciously allows me to be the physical teacher. It is His class, not mine.
Two or three years ago, He reminded me in a big way that He was the leader and He held the group together not me and my winsome personality. There was a discussion about world religions and that "everyone prayed to the same God so surely everyone would go to heaven." When I definitively and not so tactfully stated that I did NOT pray to the same god as other world religions (that little g is purposeful) and that the ONLY way to heaven was Jesus, my dear friend who had made the original statement said that she could no longer be in my group if that is what I truly believed. I do not regret what I said--God's truth is a non-negotiable. And although I might could have been more diplomatic in my choice of words, I don't believe in sugar-coating truth. What I regretted for a long time is that she didn't trust *me* enough to come *my* study, when I needed to be praying about whether or not she trusted *God* enough to hear *His* truth. Our friendship mended, but I could never be her teacher again. God clearly broke my heart in showing me that only He is the teacher, I'm just a vessel. I hope that is a lesson I never have to repeat.

2. Did it ever occur to you in the 3-way drama of God, Job, and Satan that Satan was the only one outside the loop as far as Job's reactions would be? Does this encourage you in resolving to make a fool of him when he attempts to use you to defame the Name?
This is a new way of thinking about this passage for me. I do think that it is encouraging that God can already see the outcome, and He knows my heart desire to serve Him; only Satan underestimates how much I want to be faithful.

3. Are you in a situation now where you feel you are being overcome? Better yet, are you in a situation where you should have been overcome but are not?
I have a family history of depression. I have, by God's grace, escaped that for the most part. But the last few weeks I have been pulled down and felt that this time I might be overcome by it all. I wasn't, but the experience reminded me that we can be overcome so easily if we let our guard down. I must be continually seeking God's face in order to not be overwhelmed by life's circumstances. Only by seeking Him can He help me overcome.
4. Have you failed in a Satan-designed trial? Can you recognize God intends for this failure to refine and resolve you for next time? God is not out for your destruction but your perfection!
I don't think I failed the Satan-designed trial of recent memory, but I certainly didn't pass with flying colors either. I stayed focused on God's truth in the matter, but I allowed my ego to dictate how I responded. I totally see how God has used that (and uses that) to make me into someone who will respond more like Him the next trial.

5. Can you describe yourself as a Wonders Junkie? Found yourself in spiritual highs and lows depending on whether you perceived God was doing wondrous things or not?
No. Don't get me wrong, I love to see the wonders. But I really delight in seeing God in the mundane, the normal and with the things I more readily relate.

6. Have you ever been like Philip and had God right in your face and not recognized Him?
Oh yes! Often I look back and think, "well...duh?" Why is it so much easier to see God after the fact. (And is there some imagery in there that Moses saw God's back not full-face glory?...)
7. Journal a brief prayer asking God for His Glory. Let it be the thing we all desire above all else.....
Oh, God how I desire to know Your goodness. I want Your Character to seep into the pores of my whole being. I know that You show yourself all. the. time. Give me eyes that recognize Your glory and a life that reflects it. Amen.

5 comments:

Denise said...

You always bless me, thank you.

Etta said...

I also have a family history of depression, and like you I have escaped it for the most part. But I know that if I don't remain in the Lord, it's just a matter of time before Satan pulls that weapon out and tries to use it on me. Praise God He has remained faithful and not allowed my to draw that far away so far!

Thanks for sharing.

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Your answer to #6 has me thinking...definitely some imagery there! can't find anything in my commentaries, but they are all written by men and they don't get all touchy, feely like we do..:))

Thank you so much for your continued enthusiasm for this study, Mipa...You add so much to our discussion! :))

Lisa

~Layers*of*Me~ said...

"Satan underestimates how much I want to be faithful."

Bless you!

Susanne said...

"I must be continually seeking God's face in order to not be overwhelmed by life's circumstances. Only by seeking Him can He help me overcome".

I can definitely relate to that statement!! Thanks so much for sharing your heart in these answers!