Friday, August 10, 2007

How Easy are You to Know?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you.
1 Thessalonians 4:11


Tuesday, the girls and I joined three other moms and their kids for a picnic. It was impromptu and great fun. Two of the moms are good friends of mine who are a part of the Bible Study I lead. The third lady, N, is fairly new to the church. She is a neighbor, but I do not know her very well. She was unable to attend my neighborhood BBQ and a few minutes on a Sunday morning really does not assure that you can *know* someone. N and I were the first ones to arrive. The initial conversation flowed like this:
N: "I don't know you so well and I'm sorry that we not able to come to you BBQ but it was lovely for you invite us but J (the host for the picnic) says that I won't know you too quickly." (said rapid-fire, as one sentence and in slightly broken English as written)
me: (slightly unnerved by the last part, laughing): I guess I'm known to be an introvert. I'm sorry you couldn't come. There will be others I'm sure.
N: "Well, it is good to keep things private." Then she proceeds to tell me her life story. In fact, I know, among other things:
*her age
*her kids' ages
*previous places she has lived
*names of at least 5 friends in those previous homes
*how long she has been married
*some rather intimate reasons why her marriage is ending
*her concerns for her future regarding home and children
*three things she plans to accomplish this week
*how much she loves our host
The conversation lasted less than ten minutes. I was wondering what "things" were good to keep private, lol.

But it also really made me think. I don't believe I am that difficult to know, but I don't give people my life history in a nutshell. I've struggled this week with how do I keep the balance between "won't know you quickly" and "whole story in 10 minutes" for myself. I've come up with 4 questions which seem to govern how much I share. I'm interested to know how you keep the balance in your own lives.

My first question is "Will it hurt or help the listener's faith walk if I share this?" Sometimes I find myself sharing things I would normally consider private because of where the other person is struggling and I feel sharing will encourage them. But more often, I find myself believing that I am just muddying their waters with my junk, so I keep quiet. In the case of N, she is a seeker from another faith tradition and culture. She very much wants faith to be neatly wrapped and handed to her. She struggles with the simplicity of just accepting Jesus. If I were to really share the things that God is challenging me in my life through circumstances, the messiness of my life of faith would only confuse her. I'm actually enjoying a place in my life where I experience that God and faith are so much more than I can neatly wrap up--that it is wild and vibrant and surprising and growing. But that would not benefit her where she is right now.

My second test is, "Will it lead to dissension among believers if I share this?" Beth Moore, in Believing God, encourages us to know the difference between issues of faith and our personal stands. There are some things that are stands for us, things that the Holy Spirit has led us to do or not do, that may be different from other believers. I am thinking about things such as modes of worship, ways of clothing ourselves, books we read, movies we see---I am NOT thinking about things such as whether Jesus is the Son of God. My freedom in Christ is expressed different than yours. I may be more free or more limited depending on the Spirit's direction for my life. So, wildly broadcasting what I am led to do or not do, may at times lead to dissension. That, for me, is the essence of Paul's message in 1 Timothy 2:8-9: we are called to be discreet. Discreet because telling too much or showing too much may lead to too much dissension then worship is impeded.

The third test is "Is this something between me and God?" Matthew 6:6 commands us to pray in secret, not calling attention to ourselves. Sometimes I need to be just dealing with God, and not seeking just anyone and every one's input.

Finally, "Does it dishonor someone else?" As N was telling me about her husband, whom I have never met, and sharing things I did not need to know this was the pain in my heart. I could not discern if she was sharing out of vindictiveness or if she was asking for someone to normalize and validate it by saying "everyone thinks that way." But ultimately she simply clouded my ability to make my own evaluation should I ever meet him. When I consider sharing things about my husband and my children, I frequently ask myself if it dishonors them. Does it tear them down or build them up? If it is the former, then I shouldn't say it. So, more often than not, family stuff remains totally private. Good stuff and bad stuff--because I am not going to dishonor them by telling their stories.

Using these four tests, I find that often things are just better left unsaid. But I still struggle with the balance at times. If I keep everything private then I become isolated, selfish, self-righteous, stand-offish and my growth is stunted. How do I prevent that? I'm a strong (some people would say fanatical) advocate that every believer needs at least one person other than their spouse to whom they are accountable; someone who knows the secrets and sin struggles and has permission to ask the hard questions. I base this in part on Titus 2:3-5, Galatians 6:1-2, 1 Corinthians 12, Hebrews 10:24 and Ecclesiastes 4:9-10. But accountability is a post for another day. Also, I am an advocate that we need to be in a faith community of some kind. We need to be around other believers who sharpen us and challenge us and teach us. Finally (actually firstly) we need to be developing an intimate relationship with Jesus through prayer and Bible Study. He will never lead us to live in isolation. It is amazing how often God frees me to share something because He has already dealt with me on it.

So, how about you? How easy are you to know? How do you keep the balance? I can't wait to read your input.

photo credit: phaewik on morguefile.com

8 comments:

Tami said...

This is a fascinating post, MiPa! I often think I am hard to get to know too, but then again, I think it depends on where I am--my own turf or somewhere new. And I know I have had times where I was feelng intimidated and shy, but other people took it as snobby. It's hard to live on earth, isn't it?

I liked your questions very much. You are a better woman than I. I don't always put myself through a systematic approach to my mouth like that. You are a wise lady! I pray I have the ability to stop and consider things like you.

One thing I work hard at is being respectful and the same with anyone I encounter. I've noticed when His Spirit is working in me I am more genuine. As I've gotten older I've learned people like the real me and am more comfortable sharing myself.

Great post, MiPa. I, too, look forward to your responses.

Tami said...

Hey, I was thinking on this some more and just remembered I tell people if they want to know the real me, they should read my blog!

As if I didn't say enough earlier (oh, brother!).

Grafted Branch said...

Yay! I feel like I've been waiting so long for a good word from you, Friend!

"So, wildly broadcasting what I am led to do or not do, may at times lead to dissension."

Wiser words have I not heard in a long while.

I really loved this post. I'm going to write out your questions in condensed form and pray the Spirit in me will be quicker than my tongue in regard to this principle you've taught.

Wonderful, Mipa!

Tina said...

I have so missed your posts, my friend. You have given me great pause. For the first time in quite some time I have become close to someone IRL and I am struggling daily with what to share and what to keep.

I suspect that many people have this issue but your approach to it really shows how gracious you are as a person. Thank you for your thought process, I find great strength in your words.

Delete said...

This post just hit me! I don't even know what to say. I was particularly struck by your point about our different expressions of our faith. This was so insightful.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Jenny

Susannah said...

I think we need to be careful about who we divulge all of the messy details of our lives to--for others' sake. So many people are burdened with their own troubles that they can't take on ours too. I've learned that it's not because they don't care, but because they don't have the emotional energy. I try to allow the Spirit to lead me to trustworthy, safe individuals when I have a crisis to share or a situation I need prayer for. Sometimes I'm totally surprised by the individuals He leads me to! Praise God, He knows who is able to help and who is not. :~)

Paper Dali said...

Very thoughtful post ... I've been thinking about this for days. The Lord has really blessed me lately by putting just truly awesome, devout and funny women in my life, so we're all at the "getting to know you" stage. I've been praying and thinking about what to reveal because, let me tell you, in 35 years, I've accumulated some spiritual junk. And then I've thought about it and realized that because it is junk and stuff that I've thrown away, there is no point for me to show people it, you know? When people come over, you don't point to the trash and say, "That's what happened" but show them what is.

When I do talk about the darker parts of my past, I try and talk about those times only briefly and in the light that the Lord has been so good to me and shown me a better way of living. I don't want to share all the darkness of my past and pull people into it, but rather celebrate what God can do.

I've also learned, alas, through trial and error, that a person cannot share everything with everyone. The one who gets the fullness of me is the Lord. He is the one who understands me completely and knows my heart and I can pour it out all to Him, who replenishes my soul with forgiveness and grace. There's no reason to burden my friends. Sure, I share my anxieties, but I don't tell everyone everything. For example, I've a friend who is a hypochondriac, and I can't share my illness concerns with her, or she'll freak out over me. How can sharing my concerns be anything good for her? So, I'm mum about it. And I don't share my hopes for being a published writer with all my friends because, well, what's the point? As I get older, I have begun to see friends as people to love and treasure rather than soundingboards for every concern or thought that I have.

Thank you for the thought-inspiring post, my friend!

Miriam Pauline said...

Oh Maria, I LOVE this: "When people come over, you don't point to the trash and say, "That's what happened" but show them what is."
I'm definitely going to quote you on that.