Monday, August 13, 2007

Sometimes, we can't imagine how God will work

I had a God-thing happen this weekend, that I have no idea how He is going to use it, but I'm going to share it anyway because it is just so cool.

German has been working in London. The girls and I don't do so well at the single parent household thing. So, Saturday we took the train down to spend Sunday with him and came back today. Saturday at the train station, we walked past two couples visiting. One of the gentleman spoke to Flower. There was one of those kindling moments in my spirit where God said "he's family." I don't know why, but I asked if that was a Texas accent I heard (remember we are in the NW of England). He said Arkansas and we chatted a couple of minutes. Turns out they were heading down to London for a quilt tour. I got excited to meet a fellow quilter and she pulled out what she had brought for show-n-tell. Then, she introduced me to her friends who they had been visiting with--a missionary couple who lead a global mission and have spoken in our church a few times. We spoke of God being good and wished each other blessings.

On the train, I felt like I needed to give them my email address. Except they were in the first car and we were in the last and that is not a trip I'd make with two little ones in tow. So, I wrote it down and placed it in the outside pocket of my bag and prayed that if God intended me to give it to them, He'd arrange it. Two and half hours later we arrive in London and head to the taxi. The couple from Arkansas are getting into the taxi ahead of me! I hand them my address and wish them a good trip then get into my taxi and marvel at God's goodness. (I almost never take a taxi in London but I was too tired to deal with the Tube and it was too hot to walk the 3/4 mile to the hotel.) I told German about the encounter and we laughed about it.

On Sunday, we got up and had breakfast and began our day. As we wandered down toward the Thames from the hotel, I prayed, "I know it is a big city full of tourists, but I'd like our paths to cross again." We walked to St. Paul's, crossed the Milennium Bridge, walked along the Thames, walked across Tower Bridge and ended up at the Tower of London. After a couple of hours of exploring the tower and seeing the Crown Jewels, we were ready to leave. I suggested we head to Ben & Jerry's for ice cream (outside the tower) and German said, let's just have ice cream here--so we did. As we left the Tower of London at 4pm who do you think we met on the steps as they were coming into the tower? The couple from Arkansas! How *God* is that! We chatted some more. I implored her to *really* email me. We hugged and left them to sight-see. We headed to Covent Garden and Leicester Square and had dinner at Rainforest Cafe. We had a marvelous day. But I will always remember God bringing them across our path again--at a busy monument at the end of the day.

As I said, I don't know if God will kindle a friendship, or if there is a reason for our meeting. But it so encouraged me. I hope it encouraged them as well. And maybe the story made you smile as well.

Blessings on your day!

4 comments:

my4blessings said...

I just love how He works and how our prayers can be so specifically answered. It's stuff like this in my own life that convinces me that God is concerned about more than just my needs, that He really shows His love in such fun ways. So glad your trip went as it did!

Tami said...

Wow! Go GOD!!

Tina said...

What a wonderful story! He works in wonderful ways, doesn't he. Please let us know if you hear from the couple.

Velda said...

Beautiful AND amazing...