Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Chapter 4, Lesson 13--I AM Your Portion

Lisa has created another great installment of the I AM Bible Study based on Genesis 15:1, Leviticus 26:6-13, Exodus 34:6, Genesis 22:18 and Galatians 3:8. Here are my answers to the study questions.



BURNING QUESTIONS
1. Do you struggle with a sense of self-worth? How do you perceive this has affected the way you are able to 'keep your head upright'? If not, do you know someone who suffers in this area?

Not anymore. I was once totally convinced that my only worth was in academic performance and no one cared at all for the person I was outside of that. That lack of self-confidence, coupled with natural shyness, made me totally afraid to speak out. Since my spiritual gifts are speaking gifts (predominantly teaching) I was totally ineffective in the things that God called me to do. Which led me to beat myself up for not following God's lead that made me even more ineffective. It really is a vicious cycle. When I finally 'got it' that my worth is in Christ alone, then I was able to 'keep my head upright' and allow Him to shine through my gifts.

2. What are you most afraid of? Does this fear affect the way you move through life? (Ex. Are you overprotective with children? Afraid to take risks?)

I am most afraid of disappointing those I care about the most. It has, in the past, led to a fear of trying anything and a paralysis. Now it is more healthy--it causes me to evaluate how my actions may or may not impact others but it does not keep me from moving forward (because my desire to not disappoint God outweighs my fear of disappointing man--most of the time, lol).

3. What is one of the most marvelous ways God has provided a need? I can't wait to hear your stories on this one!

When German left his job last year, we also lost the home we were living in because it was leased by his employer (typical arrangement for expats). We found a house that we wanted and God paved the way for us to be able to rent it, with no income to list on the application! Then, He provided the job offer we were believing would come. As it turned out, German ended one job on Friday and began the new job on Monday. We never missed a paycheck--which was totally the blessing of God providing for us.

4. Steve Brown, a Moody Broadcasting Bible Teacher, is one of the first people I ever heard teach the concept that God was not mad at me. I grew up in a denomination that led me to believe He was in a continuous state of disappointment over my failures. How about you? Though in your heart you know God says He loves you, does Satan in your mind ever try to convince you otherwise?

Being a parent has helped me understand how God can demand and expect obedience and holiness, but does not stay in a state of anger toward me. Even when I am the most frustrated with the girls' behavior, I never am in a state of not loving them or being too disappointed to move forward. And since God is the perfect parent, He can look past the failures to see the heart even more. Satan, of course, tries to disuade me on God's love--but he can only succeed on those days that I choose to walk my own path rather than remain in God's love and protection.

5. How close are you to your own Promised Land? Not at all, 1/2 way, almost there? By this I mean the place of abundant living and effectiveness here on earth, not the ultimate fulfillment in Glory! Though I hope you are going to heaven, I don't want it to be today! :)

There are days that I am definitely in the promised land, living the abundant life that God has called me to. Other days, I'm on the banks looking in--I totally get that God has a life of abundance for me but I just don't always walk in it. The glorious thing about the promise land is that it is always abundant and is not stagnant. When I live in His abundance He is able to give me more and more and more. Glory!

Thanks Lisa for another great installment! Hope you, my readers, are being blessed by this study the way I am. If you are blessed by it, and would like to participate, Lisa is starting the study over again beginning tomorrow 29 August. I'd love to read your answers as well.

3 comments:

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

'The glorious thing about the promise land is that it is always abundant and is not stagnant'

Amen sister...there is always something fresh growing in the Promise!! I felt that just today in an area of study I am moving in to and also through Casting Crowns' new cd!! WOW - I love it!! Nothing like fresh praise! :)) Thank you for your faithfulness to this study Mipa...Your insights are invaluable..!

Lisa

Denise said...

Bless you always sweet one.

Susanne said...

I loved your answer to #4!! What a great perspective you have! Thanks so much for sharing your heart with us. Have a great day!