Tuesday, September 18, 2007

IOW--Thorns or Roses?




She slips into the back pew at the church, heart heavy.

*sigh*

A mental review of the week. "You know God it is hard to follow You." *sigh*

Finding a parking place this morning was difficult. Why did she have to park so far away? Almost half-way across the parking lot! Whoever designed the church building and parking didn't take into consideration that if people were running late a ten minute walk would be frustrating.

And work. Don't get her started! Her co-worker is Jewish, so her boss gave him the day off Thursday for the start of some Jewish holiday she has never heard of. "It just isn't fair!" she fumes, "he wouldn't give me a day off for a Christian holiday! Really! I'm not even allowed to wish anyone a 'merry Christmas' anymore lest it offends someone. Discriminated against, that's what we are. Discriminated against."

And then there was her son. Suspended from school for praying. All he was doing was saying grace before his meal. He didn't even say it aloud or ask others to join him. But the principal said that his bowing his head at the table might offend someone. "More discrimination," she muttered.

The music starts. It is an upbeat, contemporary praise tune. "Why can't we just sing the traditional stuff. Where is Luther's 'A Mighty Fortress' in today's services?" *sigh*

Oh good, the sermon. "What's he saying? He wants me to give my hard-earned money for those persecuted in other countries? Doesn't he know about the persecuted kid at my dinner table?" The sermon drones on. *sigh* Now the preacher is asking for volunteers to do street work with the homeless. "Touch those people. I think not! He must be out of his head. I'm not going down there--at night even!"

Service over. In her car. Frustrated again that it is taking so long to get out of the parking lot. "Why does coming to church have to be such a hassle?"

Meanwhile. Half a world away, a young girl pulls her collar up around her neck. She quickly looks around her to see if anyone is watching, then ducks into a dark room and hurries down to the basement. She is alone. Mother died when she was young. Father, in prison somewhere, maybe dead, just for having a Bible. Siblings, all scattered. Did they make it to safety or were they caught? She won't know this side of eternity. There are four others there already. There will not be any more--too risky to have a large gathering. They join hands around a single candle and pray. The quickly, hungrily read the few pages of the Bible they have managed to get. The same verses every week, but such a comfort. Why do they risk meeting for just a few words? Because the sweet aroma of fellowship and worship with their Lord is worth any cost.

"They gave our Master a crown of thorns. Why do we hope for a crown of roses?"
~Martin Luther ~


"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:10

"A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all." Psalm 34:19

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." Matthew 10:37-39

Father forgive me! Forgive me when I am complacent about the freedoms I have to come to You and worship You freely. Forgive me when I complain about surface issues, when so many are suffering for Your name, right this very minute. Forgive me when I am angry that life is not easy and help me to instead seek You in my troubles. Forgive my selfish and ungrateful heart. Amen.


Our hostess this week for In Other Words is Iris at Sting My Heart. Please join us there to share your take on the quote, or to be blessed by what others are writing.

19 comments:

Denise said...

Beautiful post, thanks for sharing.

Diana said...

Ouch...great post. We really don't have much to complain about, do we?

Tami said...

This is a very moving post, MiPa. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this great contrast in perspectives you are giving us. We really are a blessed people.

lori said...

WOW!! That was beautiful and really, well...real!! We are supposed to see the "joy" in it ALL aren't we..
thank you for convicting me and reminding me...
That was beautiful...
you blessed me...
lori

Anonymous said...

That was just absolutely riveting!

Joy said...

Such a beautiful post! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

We are pretty spoiled - great reminder!

Aunt Angie said...

MiPa---mmm---wow---words won't come. I have chill bumbs and tears...The Holy Spirit definitely spoke through you to pen (type) these words for us today. I needed to read that. Thank you for sharing that! This is such an encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's all I can say! Wow! Well, maybe not all I can say! But man - your post is amazing. Wow!

Karen
http://thetagblog.blogspot.com/

Chocolate and Coffee said...

Great post!

Blessings to you.

Bernadine said...

I love your post and the way you showed a contrast. Sometimes when we look at what is going on elsewhere in the world or bad days doesn't seem so bad.

Becky said...

I am humbled by reading your post. Thank you for sharing.

Jennifer said...

Really puts things in perspective..thank you for sharing.

Bonnie W said...

I think I need to bookmark this post and come back to it whenever I'm having "one of those days."

Thanks for the poignant reminder of those who are not free to worship as we are. They have so little but appreciate Him so much.
Bonnie

eph2810 said...

What a beautiful reflection on this week's IOW quote, MiPa. Yes, were sometimes ungrateful. We have freedom to worship Him, but don't want to be 'inconvenienced'...I often think about my brothers and sisters who will go through all length to worship Him.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us this week.

Be blessed today and always.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful prayer! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on IOW. God Bless

Anonymous said...

You have brought an important issue to the surface. Blessings for the courage to expose it.