Friday, September 28, 2007

I AM Lesson 15: Full Circle



It's time for another installment of I AM...so you don't have to be. This is a great study and I really can't believe we are almost to the end. I am loving the fellowship in comments as well as the way God is using Lisa's words to transform my life. Really, if you haven't started this study yet, there is still time. Round two is just starting. Go to The Preacher's Wife and dive in. You won't regret it.

This week's lesson is out of Numbers 14 and Numbers 32:16-18. Here are my responses to the Burning Questions.

Burning Questions:

1. I think we can all agree most of us find ourselves closer to God in the struggle than without it. How does it affect you knowing that trial is what draws you more intimately in relationship to Your God? After the struggle, it is a blessing because I know that the trial was not in vain. As I go through the trial it can be either a blessing that reminds me that God is using it or a frustration of why does it have to be a trial? I think I find the trials of my own making, the ones that are more discipline related than refining related, so much more frustrating because I know that I could be close to God without going through all the unnecessary hard stuff. Refining trials I know God has purposed for my good.

2. Have you ever made a huge mistake but then found yourself in the position for a 'do-over'? Did you make a better decision the second or third or fourth time around? :) I honestly think that most of the time I am good at learning from my mistakes. So when God has graced me with a do-over, I have made better decisions (often not best decisions, but at least better). It certainly gets easier to make the right decision everytime the opportunity presents itself, lol.

3. Is there a 'generational sin' in your family you have overcome? This can be anything from a lineage of unbelief to issues of many kinds. This may be a private matter. Share if you feel liberty or quietly thank God for His deliverance. If you have not yet been delivered, I pray with all my heart God's Word is giving you courage to ask for help in that area. This year I have focused on breaking the generational pattern that louder (err...yelling) does not produce more obedient children. My mother learned it from her father who probably learned it from his father. By God's grace this is the generation that it ends. And He is honoring that desire--again I'm not there yet but lots of progress.

4. Have you ever been misunderstood? Do you feel unforgiven for past mistakes even though you know God has forgiven you? yes and yes (and I can't say more than that)

5. Is there a sister you need to extend grace towards in order to be able to 'bless God together'? Do you comprehend how your unforgiveness is hindering her from inhabiting her own Promise? If no, do you recognize a situation within your church body where this may be happening? If so, ask God to raise up a 'Phinehas' (mediator) in this situation. He may just reveal the Phinehas is you. :)
Having spent a large part of the last four years as the unforgiven, despite attempts to resolve the issue, I totally can comprehend that unforgiveness can hinder someone from inhabiting their own Promise if they let it. I know that God has forgiven and that God was leading in the situation and I can live in Promise despite her unforgiveness. But the situation has made me more acutely aware when grace needs to be extended. I don't believe that there is anyone to whom I currently need to extend that grace. But God did present a situation last night where I may be asked to be Phineas. Please pray for wisdom! :-)

4 comments:

Denise said...

I enjoyed your answers, bless you.

Susanne said...

Praying for you in your answer to question #5. Thanks so much for sharing your heart.

Cyndee@Riezzee's Place said...

Thank you for sharing about the yelling. This is something my family struggled with as well. I am getting better, but it will take some time to find other ways to communicate with the children and my husband.

BLessings

Nise' said...

Yelling was one of the generational sins my husband wanted to avoid in a wife and not pass on to his children. Mine was alcohol. God has blessed us both in those areas. Thanks for sharing.