Monday, July 02, 2007

A Very Cool Tribute

I remember the evening of August 31, 1997 so well. German and I were on our first "real" vacation since our honeymoon. We had taken long weekends before and we had taken holiday time to go visit family. But this was a pure and simple vacation--an entire week away by ourselves to just have fun. We had spent the day exploring Gatlinburg and the surrounding area. We had a very late night game of miniature golf and then went back to the hotel. We turned the t.v. on to veg out until we fell asleep. Almost immediately the "breaking news" story of Princess Diana's accident (and later her death) came on. We watched BBC throughout the evening until the last fateful announcement of her death was proclaimed. Maybe because it inturrupted our fairytale vacation, maybe because German is the same age as Diana, or maybe because it was just so tragic--but the memory stays with me.

Fastforward ten years. I don't often give much thought to 'memorial' type events years after the initial event. I much prefer to look forward and not back. But living in the UK it is easy to get drawn into Princess Diana memorial events. So we watched the Concert for Diana yesterday. May I just say what a lovely tribute the two young princes collaborated on for their mother. The variety and quality of the show was amazing. I loved watching my two little girls with their hands in the air swaying with the crowd. Flower was especially into clapping along. German and I rocked and sang along with "Maggie May" (Kristin I was thinking of you!), the girls were mesmerized by Swan Lake, I remembered why Donnie Osmond was "the" thing when I was younger. We laughed, we sang, we cried with some of the stories and we relished in remembering a life that was so giving to others. A very cool tribute done very well. Sometimes, it is a good thing to look back.

No comments: