Friday, July 20, 2007

SBQ Round up

When I started blogging, the only bloggers I knew were stitchers. So, naturally I expected my blog to be a stitching blog. I always wanted it to be *whole life* and not just *hobby* but I did plan to have at least a weekly stitching post. I signed up for the Stitching Blogger Question of the week and had good intentions. Then life happens. I realized this week that I had 9 SBQ’s in the queue to answer. I chose four to answer. And I’ll try to be more intentional about them in the future, for my stitching friends who are reading. So, without further adieu…

This week’s SBQ was suggested by Ish and is: Which project (finished or in progress) are you most proud of? Explain why.

Neuschwanstein Castle. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket It was stitched for my husband for our 10th wedding anniversary. The pattern was chosen because this is where we went on our honeymoon. I managed to keep it a secret and almost completed it on time (showed it to him on our anniversary but had about 2 more hours of stitching to go). I really love the final product.


From July 12: SBQ was suggested by The Wagon and is: What do you love to do that many people hate? What do you hate to
do, but do anyway?

I love to backstitch—and do blackwork. I think the project does not look completed until there is backstitching in it. I HATE French knots, but do them anyway because they do add to overall look of a piece.

From July 3: Do you consider yourself a "floss miser?"

I am absolutely not a floss miser. I do stitch to the very end of a length but only because I don’t like reloading the needle very often. But I have no problem with tossing the remainder of a length of floss when I am finished. Life is too short to worry about saving small strings, especially when the floss is the cheapest part of the project.

From June 6: Today's SBQ was suggested by Ish and is: What has been your most challenging project and why?

That would be Jewel’s baby afghan. It was challenging in size and complexity—large center section over two and border sections over one. But it was a challenge emotionally as well. I started it the first time I got pregnant but did not get very far before that pregnancy ended in miscarriage. I picked it up again with pregnancy #2, only to put it away again. I would not stitch on it until well into my second trimester with Jewel and then had to really be diligent to finish it before she was born. I was on target to finish by her due date but the little imp came 2 weeks early. So it was finished with her laying in my lap—another challenge in itself. But the end result was perfect! (picture to come)

Whew...somewhat caught up. I'll do better. Maybe. Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too am a backstitcher...I agree, a work is not complete without that defining line. I absolutely HATE french knots also! Thanks for this post..I have not cross-stitched in years...I ran out of wall space ;), however, I am going in search of a cross stitch pattern today for I do believe after all that 'idle hands are the devil's playground' and satan has been quite busy in my emotional life lately. Thanks MiPa!