Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I AM--Lesson 10--Keeping it in the Family



Lisa's back with another installment of this awesome study. If you haven't been following the study, it is not too late!

The background passage this week is Exodus 32:9-14. The focal verse is verse 12:
"Why should the Egyptians speak, saying, 'With evil intent He brought them out to kill them in the mountains and to destroy them from the face of the earth? Turn from your burning anger and change Your mind about doing harm to Your people."


Wow! Moses was bold! But, as Lisa points out in the study, the point was that the world was watching how God handled His people, and His reputation was at stake. And with that teaser (go read the study at The Preachers Wife), here are the discussion questions:


1. Have you ever experienced trials that were best dealt with "in the family" for either your reputation's sake or God's? You may still choose to leave them there, but you are welcome to share if you are comfortable.
Oh, yes. In my case "the family" turned out to be a couple of Godly friends (one who I married) and a minister. It was God's blessing that He dealt with my sin openly and decisively, but not in such a manner that was so well-known to harm the ministry that He had begun and of which I was a part. He cared for my reputation, yes, but His reputation and ministry were utmost importance.

2. Have you ever found yourself in a bizarre circumstance and later were able to walk someone through the same/similar situation? Did you recognize the hand of God in it?
"Bizarre" seems to follow me. :) I can think of several situations that just didn't make sense at the time (sometimes still do not make sense) but later there was someone experiencing similar losses or circumstances. I definitely see the hand of God in those times.

3. I was in my late twenties before I ever let myself believe God was for me instead of waiting to smack me upside the head every time I made a mistake. Do you truly believe God is on your side?
Yes, oh Yes!

4. If God has ever had you in the Holy Spirit Choke hold (and who hasn't He?), how have you reacted to God's chastisement? Were you bitter? Brokenhearted? Grateful?
Yes. :) lol Actually, bitter is rarely something that hinders me. But angry and frustrated, hurt and brokenhearted, definitely. Ultimately, as I see the power that comes from discipline getting things out of my life I am grateful.

5. Write a brief prayer of Thanksgiving for God's long suffering. brief??
Father God, it is daunting to understand that when you called me as your child thirty-two years ago You knew even then the journey I would take. You knew the times I would turn away. You knew I would be selfish, miss out on blessings, make a mess of things and break your heart. But You loved me anyway. And you called me anyway. In doing that You made me a child of a King. Your patience and your perseverance to change me from a royal mess (and a royal brat) into a royal Princess amazes me. I stand in awe t hat you LOVE me that much. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for always being there when I return. Thank you for desiring my best and parenting me to develop into Your likeness. Thank you for Your mercy and Your compassion in the midst of the discipline. Thank you. Just, thank you. In Jesus Precious Name....Amen

10 comments:

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

"But You loved me anyway. And you called me anyway"

I'll never get over this about God, will you?? :))

Thanks so much for your thoughts today...Loved your answer to #1..So often in the church we drag messes into the public when the first mandate of church discipline is to 'go to the person privately'. So many things should stay right there!

much love to you, MiPa! :)

Lisa

AK said...

I love your openness about God's workings in your life! He's incredible, even when we momentarily struggle with what He's doing in our lives. Have a great week friend.

Susanne said...

"I can think of several situations that just didn't make sense at the time (sometimes still do not make sense) but later there was someone experiencing similar losses or circumstances. I definitely see the hand of God in those times".

Gives fresh meaning to the old "Hind sight is 20/20" adage doesn't it??

Bless you sister for your honest answers. I can feel your love for Jesus in this study.

Etta said...

"He cared for my reputation, yes, but His reputation and ministry were utmost importance."

I love this phrase. We can be assured that He will always do what's best for us, because we are His representatives. That doesn't necessarily mean it will work out the way WE want it to, but it does mean that He will be glorified. Praise Him for that! It's NOT about US!

Denise said...

Bless your sweet heart.

Susannah said...

Nice to meet you... and nice thoughts! I've seen this Bible study on a few blogs. It looks like a really good one! Hugs 'n prayers, e-Mom

Connie Barris said...

Doesn't it feel good to move past pain...until the next pain... ;-)

for it's our direction, not perfection... as they say...

You are such a precious royal princess...

Paper Dali said...

Amen!

(Your prayer served me well, too.)

Nise' said...

Smiling at #2, I always wonder if I attract the bizarre as well, cause it always seems to find me. Thanks for sharing!

~Layers*of*Me~ said...

I also seem to attract bizarre-- and all kinds of bizarre!

Thanks for sharing your heart and blessings to you!