Friday, August 11, 2006

Rediscovering the joy of reading

I had seriously gotten out of the habit of reading for pleasure. First there was college, then grad school, then a short time of time to read, then too much reading for work everyday, then a move and settling into a new country and then kids.... Well not much time for me. But in the last month I have read more books than I read in the last year (Dr. Seuss not withstanding). I LOVE it. I just finished a marvelous little fluff mystery by Meg Cabot Size 12 is Not Fat. My eldest daughter kept asking me why I was laughing, because it is laugh outloud funny. I also finished a hauntingly engaging book by Jennifer Lauck titled Blackbird. It is the first half of her memoirs, and she had a terribly sad childhood. But I couldn't put it down. Currently reading The Gallows Girls by Gifford, which is set in an 18C stagecoach inn and Sometimes Kiwis Fly a hilarious look at a journalists journey across New Zealand on a motorcycle. I should finish them both this weekend, so I'll need to go back to the library. Oh, wait, I just brought an entire box of books home that a friend had "needing a good home." About half the box is books for homeschooling in a couple of years, but the rest are for me. What fun!

No comments: