Friday, August 25, 2006

Saving achievements

I had the funniest conversation with a friend yesterday. I asked how a project at work was going. The answer? "It's going great, according to plan. I've saved a couple of accomplishments that aren't quite finished, so next week's progress will look really great." I laughed out loud. I totally understand where this friend is coming from. When you are working to a specified plan that numerically shows progress each week, you want each week to look great. So if the current week already looks great, why not wait to log all the achievements--it helps the bottom line the next week.

Then I got to wondering, how often do I use this same technique in my spiritual walk? "I've listed so many blessings this week, I'll just not list those so next week if I'm not as blessed, I'll have something to say." "I've read a little further in my daily Bible reading than I need to today, gives me a buffer if I get busy next week." "I've prayed a few extra minutes every day this week, so ..." You get the idea. Of course I'd never articulate it like that. But in practice, I sometimes live like that. I live my life like "it might not be as blessed" rather than relishing in the fact that as a child of a Holy King I am always blessed. I unintentionally plan to not spend as much time in Scripture or prayer rather than recognize on those days I get more time to read or pray it is usually because God is blessing me with that time BECAUSE I NEED IT! There is no way I can store up achievements before God. He has purposed the achievements long before I ever dream of doing them. He sees it before I do it. And He doesn't keep a numerical project plan of my progress. (Praise Him for that!) Now if I could just not think in terms of my spiritual life being a project plan and just enjoy the walk with Him, this would be easier. Enjoy your blessings today....there are more coming your way tomorrow!

4 comments:

_ said...

Wow! Great post, Emma! Definitely something I should keep in mind more often. Thanks for the reminder...I must have needed it today. ;-)

_ said...

Oops...sorry, you're not Emma, I know that. I just came from reading her blog so had her on my brain. Sheeze..been a long week. Maybe I need more than that reminder. ;-)

Jaime said...

what a very true post..
thanks for posting this. I fall short of being thankful of my many blessings everyday!

Miriam Pauline said...

Vicki~As long as you still call me friend, you can use any name you like! lol

Jaime~Thank you, I find that you are amazing at sharing your blessings with your friends.