Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Spectacular Sins Book Club---Chapter Four



As I said yesterday, the chapter that is being discussed this week is about why God allows evil to exist. Proverbs 16:4 says, "The Lord has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble." But what does that mean? God has made wicked people? God has ordained evil? Or, as Lisa asked in her introductory paragraph, "Did God cause it by not preventing it?"

Our actual discussion was around this scenario:
You are in a coffee shop reading your Bible. A stranger sits beside you and asks, "How can you believe in a God who allows terrorists to fly into towers or children to starve and die?"


I would normally post my answer to the question here. But this week I am not. Much of my answer builds upon those that had answered before me and would be out of context here. Instead, I encourage you to go here and read the responses. Although I'd love to hear your thoughts, I don't expect much discussion here. I would hope that you will at least wrestle a little with the idea.

Have a blessed day!

No comments: