Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christ in Christmas

On the Horizon and The Next Step have posed the question “How do you keep Christ in Christmas?” I find it an interesting question. Maybe I’m blessed, but the hubbub of busyness and the over-commercialization of the holiday and the crazy “I gotta do more” attitude all around us really does not affect my Christmas. The real question for me, as I look around me, is “how can they NOT keep Christ in their Christmas?”

One of the practical things that I do, and have been pretty successful this year, is that I try to have the majority of shopping and planning done by December 1. When Advent begins, I want to start calming my spirit toward what is coming. For the most part, gifts were bought, wrapped and boxed for mailing by the first week of December, Christmas cards were designed and printed and my shopping list was made (and even pre-ordered for delivery via computer grocery shopping). That just left sitting back and enjoying the season. The last minute “needs” have not stressed me.

Another thing I began last year with the girls and continued this year was a Jesse Tree and advent calendar. It is amazing how just a few minutes each day talking with the girls about Jesus’ heritage and family tree has helped me keep perspective. They are so excited about the Bible verse each day, they have long-forgotten they were supposed to get a chocolate with each window we opened. That excites me—that my children get that the holiday is about Jesus. I have tried to be diligent about doing a quiet time or having a concentrated prayer time as well. I don’t want my personal relationship with the King of my life get overshadowed by the celebration of His birth. I admit, that is often easier to say than to do. Many of our activities are crowded into my normal me-time. I’m having to be creative in searching for those minutes. But they are priceless in reminding me of the season.

Christmas music plays almost constantly from Thanksgiving to Christmas. But not just any Christmas music. WOW praise and other Christian artists fill my home with the constant reminder that it is about Jesus. This helps focus my mind on what is most important. And I find that makes it easier to filter my conversation. For example, we traditionally bake cookies and decorate them for Christmas. We decorated Christmas trees and little girls and stars this year. Trees because Flower chose them, girls because Jewel chose them and Stars because the Star marked Jesus’ birth place. While we decorated we talked about the Christmas story. To some it might have seemed like normal conversation, but for my soul it was nourishment.

We only give 3 gifts to the girls at Christmas—representing the three gifts that Jesus received. We are able to tell and retell the story. I call it educating my girls, but I know deep down it is re-educating me. I don’t have to buy the hype, I need to adore the Savior. And I look for reasons to adore Him. As I receive Christmas cards, I pray for the person who sent it and thank God for bringing them into my life. I allow God to bring to mind the reasons they are special to me. And I am thankful. As I wrap and send gifts or cards, I pray God’s blessings into those lives. As I step into a frost-covered world, I marvel at His creativity. I find that at Christmas it is so much easier for me to see Him and be grateful to Him, because it is all about Him. I cannot comprehend Christmas without Christ at the center. I pray that I never can.

Bless you all this Holiday Season!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was quite inspirational for me. I wonder if they ever get too old for the Jesse tree? When my daughter was born there was much focus on creating 'traditions' where none existed. As she nears her teenage years I am always blessed when she looks forward to all the activities that I worked so hard to become a part of her life. Perhaps age thirteen would be the best time to start the Jesse tree? I love the playing music....I usually pull the CD player out at Christmas to play all our favorite tunes and I have decided to leave it out so we can 'jam to Jesus' all through the year ;)

The Bipolar Diaries

SandyCarlson said...

These are some wonderful ideas. I will keep them in mind for next year. God bless you as you keep Christmas in your heart.

Tami said...

It is the little thing, indeed, that bring us meaning. Thank you for that reminder, friend.