Tuesday, December 04, 2007

In Other Words--A Cheerful Giver

In "Other" Words has a new home! Each week a quote is given for you to blog about on the following Tuesday. Please visit Amy's site on Friday's to get the quote (and also enjoy her truly amazing site!)


Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins,worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."
~ Mark 12:41-44 ~ NIV


I love giving. I love gift giving. I love volunteering and giving my time. I love sharing my talents. I have been blessed with a temperment that enjoys giving. And, I am married to someone whose spiritual gift is giving. So, in our household, there is no question about bringing our tithes and our offerings. The question is "how much?" And, just as God poured into us a spirit of giving, He has also poured upon us blessing that we are able to share with others. Although our hearts are to serve God and give Him glory, I often wonder if we are more like the rich people in this story and less like the widow.

Let's face it, compared to the rest of the world we are rich. We cannot deny it. I have more spare change that has been collected over the past year in the basket to be taken to the bank than much of the third world will see this year. Even in the months that I am holding my breath between paychecks or seeing more bills that month than I am comfortable with, I know that the resources are there and I have options that many people do not have. So, however generous I may be, I am not giving at a point of sacrifice. I am not the widow, giving all that I have.

But, I pray, that I am also not the rich person giving to be seen, or out of habit, or without thought. I don't want to be a careless giver. I want to be diligent and thoughtful as I give. I want to give privately--where it is between me and God and no one else.

I believe that God has gifted me with the ability and willingess to give. But I believe that it is also taught. I was blessed to grow up in a home where giving the tithe was the norm and sharing any abundance was done discreetly and reverently. I learned it by watching it. I also learned it because I was expected to tithe my allowance from the time I began to receive one. And, as I pray for the persons my girls will become, one thing I pray is that they will have hearts that are tender to sharing with others. But, I'm also trying to teach them by example that we give out of love for God.

We don't give allowances in our house. But every Sunday morning my husband hands Jewel a coin to put in the offering bag. (The couple who sit behind us always laugh as she claps and says, "it's time to give money to God"). She gleams with joy as she drops it into the bag. She is the epitome of a cheerful giver. Tears fill my eyes as I watch her develop into the girl God is calling her to be. She gives from a grateful heart, and that is all God asks for.

I may not be the widow, giving it all. But I'm also not the rich man giving for prestige or habit. I'm the person God is calling me to be---giving out of the abundance He gives me with a grateful heart. And that is all that He asks of me...obedience and thankfulness.

Our hostess this week is Beloved Mama. Please join us there to read other meditations on these verses.

8 comments:

Velda said...

That is a beautiful entry. I love the part about Jewel....thank you for sharing.

lori said...

My husband always teases me and said that I haven't met a person I didn't want to BLESS...
"BE BLESSED" he kids...
and you know he is right..
giving is who I am...
It's fuel for me...
I love it...and I LOVED this post!
thanks for sharing!!
give away!!:)
lori

Anonymous said...

So wonderful that you are using your gift - may he continue to bless you in your giving!

Lana G!
http://airmiles.wordpress.com/2007/12/04/tuesdays-in-other-words-10/

Julie said...

My whole life was changed by my 5 days in Haiti ~ we really are rich in America.

Paper Dali said...

There you are, Miriam Pauline. I was wondering when you were going to post and said a little prayer for you. : )

Hmmm, the quote. You know what came to me as I thought about it? That it wasn't just the financial that the widow was giving, but she was giving completely of herself. As a widow, and a poor one at that, she was not high on the list of priorities for her town. As a woman, she had a big strike against her. Being poor, too. Yet she offered everything that she had to God, even if it would make her look ridiculous (So little money? others might scoff) to the people around her. Yet she still gave what little she had to the Lord, without holding back anything.

It makes me think of my own life, my very small, anonymous (to the media and Famous Folks Out There) life with its routines and laundry and vacuum-cleaning and diaper-changing. This life of mine is not valued by the world, which says I should be making a nice, fat salary or having just one child or making a home of this house. However, all these little bits of my life --- the dishwashing, the toilet-scrubbing, the discipling of children ---- are handed to the Lord. They are all from Him, for He is the one who gave me Life itself. And for all its littleness, I am so blessed by the Lord. I want to make sure that I offer it all to Him and hold nothing back of myself ...

Sometimes, I do that. Sometimes, I don't. But I pray for that selflessness of spirit to surrender completely to Him.

Anonymous said...

thank you for participating...I've enjoyed your blog :0)

Wendell said...

"And that is all that He asks of me...obedience and thankfulness."
Food for thought.
Thanks Mipas! :)

Amico Dio said...

I always enjoy reading your take on things. This was a very good post... not looking at what we don't accomplish but looking at what we do accomplish. That stands to help us grow more...

Awesome!