Tuesday, December 11, 2007

In Other Words--Bringing Paradise to Earth



"Be such a person and live such a life,
that if every person was a person like you,
and every life a life like yours,
This Earth would be God's Paradise."
~Phillips Brooks~


Being the literalist that I can be, I'm having a little trouble with this quote. Since God has demonstrated His absolute creativity in all of His creation, I cannot fathom His Paradise being filled with people who are all alike. That is the literalist in me.

But, I am going to set aside that literalist bent today, because I do understand the intention of this quote, and agree with its essence. My paternal grandmother used to remind me, "Be the kind of friend you want to have." People are attracted to friendships based on common interests and common expectations. Our actions and our lives should reflect the One who has called us.

God's Paradise does not begin when we get to heaven, it begins the moment we allow the King of Kings to enter our lives and rule. We become a part of His paradise. As He changes me, and makes me more like Him, that should draw people to Him. I want my life to be a reflection of what paradise will be like--worshiping God, trusting Him, living a life of service and devotion. I know I love being around people who are devoted to living for Christ--so I should hope that others love being around me for the same reason.

In this busy, crazy season of trying to do all things festive while still remembering the heart of the holiday--a Savior come to earth--I pray that you and are able to be the kind of people who are living God's Paradise today. Bless you!

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12:30-31


For other reflections on this quote, please visit Lori at All You Have to Give.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Paradise is what we hold dear in our hearts everyday -- The Kingdom of God. Furthermore, Christians should always be striving to live as if we're in heaven already.

Denise said...

Beautifully said, bless you.

lori said...

I am so glad the literalist stayed back this morning:)

God's Paradise does not begin when we get to heaven, it begins the moment we allow the King of Kings to enter our lives and rule.

how right you are...I loved that line...
TRYING to make this earth a "little bit of heaven...."

thank you for joining this morning!!
lori

Tami said...

I'm like you, MiPa. When I first read this quote I thought, "Wouldn't that be boring?" I'm not sure I'll have the same self-control as you though! We'll see. I, too, understand the intent is to live the Golden Rule.

It's good to hear something from your neck of the woods, MiPa. I've missed you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your thoughts and reflections.

Be blessed!

Susan said...

"God's Paradise does not begin when we get to heaven, it begins the moment we allow the King of Kings to enter our lives and rule. We become a part of His paradise"...

This was GREAT!

Enjoyed your post.

Blessings to you,

Susan

Heather said...

No, we're not all meant to be alike, but we are all meant to be like Him...right? :)

Anonymous said...

"I want my life to be a reflection of what paradise will be like--worshiping God, trusting Him, living a life of service and devotion." I love this!! Not only are pointing people to God through our actions, we are also pointing them to His dwelling place...the final destination.I never thought about it quite like this but I love it!

Great job!!