Thursday, October 18, 2007

Some Excursions on Holiday

We were able to do a couple of day trips while in Turkey. The Greek Island of Meis lies just 2 km off the coast of Turkey. So one day we took a 20 minute boat trip to the island--to be able to say that we had entered Greece. Unfortunately for me, it was the morning after I had managed to eat/drink something that did not agree with me at all. We believe that it was probably from the ice at the villa--that the guests before us must not have been as diligent to use bottled water as we were. To say the least, anything involving being on the water did not enthuse me that morning. But the trip was booked, and it was a beautiful morning, so I tried hard to be a good sport.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The trip across was uneventful. The girls wanted to see the castle ruins that were on the top of the hill. So we started up the steps.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Then wandered along the path.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Finally got to the castle and discovered this is the way in.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Did I mention I was not feeling well? And it was almost 90 degrees? And I'm trying hard to get hydrated and be a good sport? German knew I was in no shape to do it, so he offered to take the girls himself. And they loved it. But at the top there were no guard rails at all. And he spent most of the time scared he was going to lose one of them. But the pictures from the top are great!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
We came down the hill to eat lunch. While we were eating a thunderstorm blew in. And the rain came down.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And we ended up being drenched rats. But, thankfully, by the time we had to run for the boat I was feeling much better. :) And now I can say I've been to Greece!

Our other excursion was to the town of Myra. The trip started out rather eventful, but they soon cleared the road.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Myra is the hometown of Nicholas (later St. Nicholas)where he was bishop. I got the coolest hand knotted rug of St. Nick to display in December. We don't do Santa Claus as a gift giver in our home, but we will talk about how the myth came to be and who the person behind it was. (gotta love homeschool rationalization for buying decorations). Myra was also a port town in Biblical days. According to Acts 27:5, Paul, as a prisoner, changed boats here on his way to be shipwrecked err..on his way to Rome. We visited the ruins of Myra--the necropolis and the stadium (amazing). It was a lovely day out. Well worth it if you ever visit Southern Turkey.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I promise to stop boring you with holiday pictures soon (we only took 1300!), but I do have one more excursion to tell you about and some reflection. It'll be worth coming back for...I promise.

5 comments:

Velda said...

I say post as many as you want, these are incredible!!!! All those stairs tho, well or not I could not have done them lol....I'm completely enjoying your trip!

Paper Dali said...

Miriam Pauline,

I am LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVING your pictures and vicariously traveling through them. They are just brilliant pictures. So pretty! So lovely! Did I mention the waiters? LOL

And, hey, I'm happy that I know now what you look like. : ) It's nice to put a name and a face together rather than this nebulous being in my imagination. Hee, hee.

Glad to have you back and posting. (hug)

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are back! I have really enjoyed your 'photo journal'!!

eph2810 said...

Awesome pictures, my friend. It looks like an awesome holiday you had. I never get bored looking at wonderful places :)
Thank you so much for sharing.

Be blessed today and always.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Oh I love the pictures MiPa, they're not boring at all. They're pretty exciting. In fact, they afford us to vicariously be along with you in your vacation to Turkey and Greece. Too bad that you did not feel well because of water and ice problems. Do post more of your pictures. They tell their own stories of your wonderful vacation. Smile always. God bless and have a wonderful vacation.