Tuesday, October 30, 2007

In Other Words--Eating The Whole Cake



"The Word of God well understood and religiously obeyed is the shortest route to spiritual perfection. And we must not select a few favorite passages to the exclusion of others. Nothing less than a whole Bible can make a whole Christian."

~ A.W. Tozer ~


I think I will bake a cake today. But in perusing the recipe, I am not impressed with the list of ingredients. I think I'll make some changes.
*Eggs aren't that good for you, so I'll just leave them out
*I'm really fond of salt, even if it is unhealthy, so maybe I'll add some extra
*There is so little baking powder in the recipe, it's probably not important so I'll skip that as well
*Flour is so boring. I think I'll stop after 2 cups. 3 cups is too much to measure
*Waiting for 45 minutes before my cake is ready? No way! I want instant results. I'll take it out of the oven after 20 minutes--because that is actually a long time!

What do you think my cake will look like? How will it taste? No binding element of eggs, no leavening element of baking powder, too much salt, not enough bulk of flour, not cooked long enough--it will be a sad mess of a cake with all the wrong flavor. Silly, huh?

But isn't that how we often approach Scripture.
*I really like the Proverbs, so I'll spend all of my time there
*Lamentations is soooo depressing, think I'll skip that
*Those rules in Leviticus, so outdated; no reason to read that part
*Paul is so judgemental to women--I'll skip him too.
*Revelation is too hard to understand, so no reading there either
*A regular, quiet time? Emphasis on the time? I'm too busy...I'll give God 20 minutes and no more

And then we wonder why our lives are a mess!

But Tozer saw a bigger picture. Now before you get caught up in "spiritual perfection" note that Tozer does not use that word as "never doing anything wrong" but in the idea of "perfection = wholeness". We become the people that God created us to be, wholly put together, by spending time in God's Word. But reading it is not enough. We must "religiously obey" it. Again, I don't think that this is about legalism. It is about actively applying the Word to the situations of our life. And we can't pick and choose what parts are the most appealing--God ordained all of Scripture for our use.

Paul says it like this,
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17


It's all good! And, it all has a purpose! The more we study it, the more God is able to illuminate our eyes to the purpose. I don't know about you, but I long for spiritual wholeness--to be the woman that God created me to be. I know that it is a life-long process of being. But I'm willing to take the shortest path. And that path involves the hard work of truly studying and seeking to know God. Just like I want my cake to be completely cooked with the right ingredients, I want my life to be flavored with the ingredients of God's Word and brought to fruition in His timing. I guess that means it's time to dust off some of the passages that I tend to pass over because they seem irrelevant or difficult.

Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates...
~Deuteronomy 11:18-20~


Father, God, you are the God of wholeness and perfection. I long to know you in perfection. Teach me your ways Father. Draw me to the whole of Scripture. Guide my heart to desire to read it all, to know it all. But Father I pray that reading Scripture does not become an academic effort to know. Help me to apply what I read, to obey what I learn. Use my Scripture study to develop me into the person You desire me to be. Amen.

The hostess this week for In Other Words is Debbie at Chocolate and Coffee. Come and be blessed!

10 comments:

lori said...

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED your cake analogy!! It is so true!!
I went into last weeks comments to see who was up yet and there you were!
Fabulous post on this quote!!

I think I will use this with the kiddos too!!
thank you for the blessing!
~lori

Tami said...

Great analogy, MiPa. There are no shortcuts to being whole.

Kris said...

OOOH, I love cake! LOL

That is a great analogy! Funny we don't equate perfection to wholeness in our minds and that we somehow see it as negative when someone mentions spiritual perfection. Too bad, you know?

Wonderfully thought-provoking thoughts! Thanks for sharing!

Denise said...

This was a great post, really enjoyed it.

Heather said...

The cake analogy does put it into perspective. I'm glad you brought in Deut. - we're not to just read the word, but to allow it to enter into every aspect of our lives.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughts and a hearty amen to your prayer. Blessings...

Anonymous said...

I really have enjoyed this weeks interpretations. I especially love the verse from Deuteronomy. My daughter and I watched the movie Ushpizin and there is a scene in which the main character is wearing a phylactery. So the next day as part of our Bible study we studied Deuteronomy 6:8 and then read about phylacteries.

Do you know what is written on the scrolls inside them? A reminder that God saved them from slavery in Egypt (and He save us from our slavery to sin), an exhortation to teach this truth to your children, the Shema reminding us that the Creator is and He is one, and a reminder to hope in reward for obedience.

Good reminders still today ~

Lisa said...

What a great analogy to the cake! I was moved by your thoughts and thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Oh what great thoughts, and can I relate. I make bread often - from scratch, including grinding the wheat. We had been out of sea salt that I use, so I was using my husband's low sodium salt. My bread kept sinking in the middle. Then last night one of my girls made bread, and totally left the salt out. It clicked then! THE SALT! This relates so well to this quote. Thank you so much for sharing so well.

Tea with Tiffany said...

Appreciate your insight about the Word and the cake. I am guilty of spending time in the books I love and ignoring the rest!

Thanks for sharing.