Tuesday, June 26, 2007

IOW--Praying for Everything




I love to listen to my children pray. Flower is just learning to say 'amen' (often loudly as the preacher prays, good thing she is cute). Jewel is really learning the power of prayer. And, she prays for everything:
...she prays for the baby ducks to not be afraid in the wind
...she prays that her daddy will have 'good meetings' at work
...she prays for 'lovely day' at school
...she prays for Flower to 'not pee on the floor' (ok mommy prays this too but not aloud!)
...she prays that we can go for a walk or to the park
Whatever she thinks about is what she prays. And it makes her mommy smile. I smile even more when she sees God's hand and gives him credit. She thanks Him when we were able to walk, or the wind stops, or Flower has a good day. I do encourage her to pray (we have prayer as we start school and before bed and at meals), but I don't necessarily teach her what to say. The thing that amazes me is how much more she prays for now that she sees God answering prayers. What used to be a 'good day of school' one-liner now is a run on sentence of thanks and petition. The more she prays, the more she wants to pray.

"When there is little awareness of real need there is little real prayer."
~ Donald S. Whitney ~
Spiritual Disciplines For the Christian Life

I want to be more like that. I want to see God at work in the little things I've prayed. I believe that the more we see Him in the little things the more He reveals to us. It's true in my life. If I am breezing through life praying quick little surface prayers, He will often answer them but that is where the process ends. But if I am spending concentrated time in prayer He will bring to mind more and more things that I need to bring to Him in prayer. The more focused I am on praying the more aware I am of the needs around me. I become less self-focused and am therefore other-focused. If I am focusing on others I will notice if someone is not making eye contact, is downcast or anxious--needs to bring to the Father. If my eyes are turned upward and outward, I will see God at work in the greater world. And I want to be a part of what He is accomplishing. Often my part is prayer. How great a privilege! I don't want to take it for granted.

At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure. Matthew 11:25-26


He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:2-4


Father, help me approach you in prayer as a child. Help me delight in all that you do around me. Make me unashamed to ask for anything that you bring to my heart and mind. Draw me to Yourself in quiet times of prayer where you can reveal the needs around me. Make me sensitive to people to look past the surface and to see the needs. And give me courage to not only pray for peoples' needs but to be a minster of You in their lives. Broaden my perspective to see community and world needs. May I never lose sight of how much You love the whole world, and may that be a prayer burden on my heart. Thank you for teaching me through my children. Bless them today and grow them into women of prayer as well. In Jesus' precious and Holy name...Amen.

Our hostess this week is Laurel Wreath. Please follow the link to see what "others" are saying this week. You are sure to be blessed!

10 comments:

Meg said...

Great post...He indeed does teach us through our children...in more ways than I can count. Blessings, Meg

Lori said...

Nothing more sweeter than a child's prayer. I loved this post.

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet, introspective post. When we desire to see the world through the eyes of our Heavenly Father, then every little thing is a blessing for which we can be in prayer. Thanks for sharing. Nina

eph2810 said...

It is so true, Miriam. We surely can learn a lot from our children. Not only in prayer, but in their faith.
It is so neat that your little girl sees the answers to her prayers and want to communicate more and more to our Heavenly Father.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this week's IOW quote.

Blessings to you and yours.

Nise' said...

I love this: "The more focused I am on praying the more aware I am of the needs around me. I become less self-focused and am therefore other-focused." Enjoyed your thoughs on this topic!

Pearls of Wisdom said...

You are so right a child's prayer is the sweetest thing to hear. Wonderful post.

In his endless love,

Angel ():)

Amico Dio said...

Beautiful, wonderful post. Thank you.

Bonnie W said...

Would that we all could learn to pray as our children do!

Several years ago I worked in my local area with the leaders of our denomination's girls' ministry. Each year when we had our state-wide retreat, the thing that blessed me the most was listening to the girls pray around the altar after the evening time of worship. WOW!

Bless you for teaching your child to pray.
Wonderful illustration.
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Nothing better than to hear the faith in a child's prayer and to learn from those little one's.

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for you comment :)

God bless