Monday, June 11, 2007

Birthday Musing

Today is my 39th Birthday--my real one. Next year is the monumental birthday that German is already planning for (and he is not known for being kind on 40th birthdays). For my 30th birthday he filled the yard with pink flamingos and a billboard announcing my age. Gotta love him (otherwise, you might kill him, lol).

The plans for my birthday had been set for a while. German was working in London and Warwick, so the girls and I were to spend Friday thru Tuesday away with him at the expense of the company. But then today's meeting cancelled, losing the business case to stay the weekend, and our friends from Romania were to be here yesterday and he was preaching, and .... Needless to say we spent Friday and most of Saturday in London and returned late Saturday night. It was a wonderful weekend with perfect weather and I wished we could have stayed. (We spent Friday at the Natural History Museum then Harrods food court then the London Eye Ferris wheel and Saturday at Greenwich Royal Observatory, plus both days a long walk along the Thames). But God poured out His blessings at church yesterday and it was so worth it to return home early. Because German still has a meeting in London tomorrow, he had to leave mid-afternoon to to down. *sigh* He had taken the girls shopping and they bought me beautiful cards, a lovely Marguerite (mini daisies) plant and a couple of lovely blouses. Last night we went to my favorite Italian restaurant for dinner. The last time we had been was a year ago and this was the experience. Last night was magical. We sat in the patio area near the open windows. The meal from starter (avocado/bacon/mozzarella salad) to main (chicken in mushrooms) to dessert (tiramisu) was exquisite. The girls were well behaved. A lovely evening. I really felt taken care of. So all in all a great weekend of celebrating.

When I started dieting in January I set a goal to lose 30 pounds by my birthday. I missed it by 1.2 pounds, but overall I am so pleased with the results. It was a great birthday present to give myself!

As I've thought about the past year, so much has changed for our family. I've been trying to write a post about it for a couple of weeks now. It flows perfectly with the quote that Iris has chosen for In Other Words this week, so tune in tomorrow for "What a Difference a Year Makes." I pray you will be blessed.

Have a beautiful day. I'm going to enjoy the last few minutes of quiet of my birthday before time to get some sleep. Blessings....

9 comments:

susan said...

Happy Birthday and well done on the weight loss.
I've lost 18 since February, 30 is fantastic.

Paper Dali said...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPY birthdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Feliz cumpleanos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(confetti toss)
(shouts of blessings)
(slice of healthy cake, LOL)

So glad you were born so you can do such lovely thoughtful posts to get me all a-thinkin'.

Cheers from the States!

- Maria, who is SO inspired by your weight-loss

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and thanks for sharing the encouraging post.

Christine said...

Happy Bday!!! Hope you had a wonderful day!

Tami said...

Happy Birthday, friend. I'm glad you had a nice day.

Pearls of Wisdom said...

Happy Birthday my friend.

Hugs,

Angel ():)

Margaret said...

Blessings upon the rest of this 39th year to you!

Anonymous said...

happy belated birthday

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Belated Birthday! I'm just catching up on all of my blog reading, I'm so sorry I missed the day :) Wishing you a wonderful year! :)