Thursday, March 30, 2006

Who is being Homeschooled?

I consider myself a homeschooling parent, although the girls are only three and one. We do not use any curriculum yet, just life. So this week as life happened and dd3 was learning by asking the incessant "why" "how" "when" questions and God was showing me the parallels I wondered if it is really my daughter who is being homeschooled or me?

Here's just an example. We were going for an afternoon walk and the sun is finally shining so dd3 notices that she has a shadow. She was asking why she had a shadow and what was it for and ... and... and..., you know how it goes with a three year old. I was explaining that the shadow was caused by our bodies blocking the light that was coming from the sun behind us. Then she asked what happened if the light couldn't ever get through? (She was worried about the flowers that were being shadowed at the time). So I explained about how the sun moves and so the shadow is not in the same place all the time (don't get too literal here at 3 she can't understand the sun staying still and the earth turning) and that we would not be standing in the same place for long so the flowers were ok. Later as I was doing my Bible reading about "living in the light" I began to think about dd3 and the shadows. I live in the shadows when I let something get in between me and the SON so that His light is not shining on me. How long can I really survive if I live in the shadows? How long do I want to survive with His light filling my life? On a more personal level, what if my life "shadows" those around me. Are there actions or attitudes that block His light? Am I preventing others from growing. I pray not. But it does seem like a challenge.

Just as I use the things teach my girls, God uses the things of life to teach me. I am being homeschooled by a Heavenly Father. What a joy!
Blessings to you all...

No comments: