Friday, March 24, 2006

God Teaches

When I put pen to paper, and it is literally pen to paper the old-fashioned way, it is usually to write about family or what God is teaching me. Today the focus is that He is teaching me that He Teaches. Seems obvious, but I sometimes forget. This message has been brought clearly to light twice this week, so I know it is what I need to be hearing. I teach a weekly ladies Bible Study. We "normally" follow a book or study written by some prominent teachers. But right now we are being a little different. We recently finished an awesome study by Dee Brestin and Kathy Troccoli (Living in Love With Jesus). It was life-deepening, and we wanted time for that deepening to take roots and settle. Plus, the church is doing a Lenten study on the life of David which is Scripture-laden. I did not want to overload the ladies. So, instead of a prepared study, each week we are taking a chorus (or hymn) that is often sung at church and meditating on the words during the week. On Thursdays, we just talk about the insights we garnered during the week.
Anyway, week before last I chose "I Will Never Be the Same Again" by Geoff Bullock. We had a great discussion on the 17th about how our lives are not "the same again" as God leads us day-by-day. Then, Sunday's sermon had the Pastor repeating that phrase more than five times in the short space of a sermon. I told my DH after church that it was a clear reminder that God prepares my lessons not me. It does not matter how clever I think I am, God is so much more clever! He teaches. I'm just the vessel. So cool. But also so humbling.
This week's song was "Great is Thy Faithfulness" by Thomas O Chisolm. It was an unusual choice for me because my plan had been to focus on 'modern' choruses and this was written in 1923. One of the ladies in the group is from a different denomination than me, and was not familiar with the song. Thursday she shared how the line "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow" had ministered to her all week. Her father had died on Monday and a song that she had never heard before gave her what she needed to cope. God is So Good! God teaches. I'm the vessel. Can't wait to find the next lesson!
Blessings....

1 comment:

Kristina said...

I've added you to my Blog Roll :)