Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sacred and Ordinary

"No distinction was made between the sacred and the everyday...their life was all one piece. It was all sacred and all ordinary."

~ Sue Bender ~
author of Plain and Simple


I have struggled with this quote this week. I would love, someday, for someone to be able to say this of me. But, alas, I am far from it.

I try to live my life with consistency. I don't like compartmentalization of it--this is my church life, this is my family life, this is my recreation life, etc. But I find that compartmentalizing is so much easier. *sigh*

I try to not miss the sacred in the ordinary and to always give God the glory for the ordinary successes in my life. But in reality, I take far too much credit and bask in more of my own glory than God's.

I make distinctions between the everyday and the sacred. And I don't like it.

I see snippets of this seamlessness in other people. I try to learn. Maybe someday...

Other's will be writing today about this same subject. You'll be able to find their interpretations here:


I know I'll be reading with interest, trying to learn to be more seamless in my life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"But I find that compartmentalizing is so much easier. *sigh*"

Yes, so true, Miriam...living seamlessly means to attend, and leave spaces. And that is H.A.R.D.

Joining with you in walking towards that...

Amydeanne said...

I think it's a struggle 99.9% of us have!
I'm workin on it too!

CJ said...

I think all the words you share with all of us here make you sacred! You are doing His work and spreading His word! What's more sacred than that??

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful message to all of us. I think we all struggle to live Christ every minute of the day. As long as we keep on with the fight, we will win. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Such honesty we ALL can relate to. You wrote it so well.

I think this is the first time I have been to your blog, and I have enjoyed reading through it. What adventures you have had! I love the pictures of your children and the honesty too. Oh, how I can relate to the spills & tattling! :)

Thank you for sharing.

Loni

Anonymous said...

I couldn't come with anything to write about on this quote this week so I really enjoyed reading your take on it. Thanks!