Saturday, September 26, 2015

Book Round Up

One thing I have done a lot of since April is reading. That is one of the joys of home educating, is lots of reading. I won't bore you with reviews of everything, but I will make a list and then give some highlights, for my record-keeping.


School Reading:
Master Cornhill by Eloise Jarvis McGraw
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin   *How did I miss this book growing up? A fun mystery once you get the characters straight.
From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler by E.L. Koninsburg
The Shakespeare Stealer by Gary L. Blackwood
The Year of Impossible Goodbyes by Sook Nyal Choi
The Breadwinner Trilogy by Deborah Ellis   *I enjoyed the first book as a glimpse of Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, but did not think the final two books kept up with expectation.
The King's Fifth by Scott O'Dell
The Good Master by Kate Seredy
A Murder for Her Majesty by Beth Hilgarten
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin


Reading the Classics that I Never Read or Didn't Pay Attention to in School:
Frankenstein by Mary Shelly
Dracula by Bram Stoker


Reading to Grow:
Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeust
Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges
The Fitting Room by Kelly Minter   *Kelly Minter has a beautiful way with words and this book was no exception. Lovely reminders of how to put on Christ. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Between Worlds by Marilyn Gartner  *A good book about understanding Third Culture Kids and their transition needs.
Ready, Steady, Grow by Ray Evans


Reading for Pure Enjoyment:
The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
Glory by Rachel Billington  *The story of Gallipoli as told through the eyes of a fictional family. Thoroughly engaging.
One Plus One by JoJo Moyes
The Girl You Left Behind by JoJo Moyes  *JoJo Moyes is my current guilty pleasure, along with Kate Morton. I love how she creates characters that you want to know and can't wait to read more.
The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon  *Haunting and draws the reader into the story. I will read more of Simon's books.
The House at Riverton by Kate Morton  *another author of which I can't get enough
The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende *Trying to read more of other cultures as well. This wasn't my type of book, but I couldn't put it down.
Between the Woods and the Water by Patrick Leigh Fermor *Second book as he walks from Hook of Holland to Constantinople. Covered Romania which is one of my favourite places in the world, so I enjoyed it.


Newbery Contenders:
Jewel and I are reading through books that are potential Newbery winners this year. It is fun to get her perspective on new books. This has been my favourite reading genre this year!
Lost in the Sun by Lisa Graff   *excellent character development and an enjoyable story
The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart  *Jewel says it tried to be Fault in Our Stars for kids. Good but left something lacking.
Hoot by Carl Hiassen  *we both enjoyed, but not enough to want to read again
Greenglass House by Kate Milford  *again we both enjoyed it and one of us was totally caught out by the twist in the story.  We definitely want to read more of Milford's books
The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley  *This book has stayed with me and was an amazingly well-told story. Adults will enjoy as much as teens. Jewel and I both hope that it receives honours.
Stella by Starlight by Sharon Draper *This, too, is a great story. I felt it needed one or two more chapters to truly bring it to a conclusion.
Moonpenny Island by Tricia Springstubb  *We enjoyed this as well
Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan *This book is magical. We both feel it deserves the Newbery or at least Honours. Jewel said "It is the kind of book you fall into and hope never ends." and "If this doesn't win the judges have forgotten what books are all about." Pretty high praise from a thirteen year old. And I agree. Four months later I still find myself musing about these characters. We loved it!


There you have it, a spring and summer's worth of reading. Have you read anything lately I should add to my list?







1 comment:

Wendell said...

Thanks for sharing your book list. Just finishing up Small Acts of Grace - Alice Gray. A light easy read with some great reminders of what it's all about; sharing Gods love with others.
The Distant Hours by Kate Morton is on the book shelf to read soon. Picked it up after having read The Forgotten Garden, such an enjoyable book.