Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thankful Thursday---Isn't God Good?





It's Thankful Thursday! I won't be doing a traditional list today, my heart is too full and explanations are needed. In fact, this was meant to be last week's post, but life, God and lessons got in the way, and He continued to add to these blessings. Today I am most thankful for the myriad of ways God speaks to us.

Last Saturday (the 1st) dawned with me expecting it to just be a looooong day. We were overcommitted and I was stressed. But God showed up, in a big way, all day. First, we were meeting at the church to do the meal preparation for Sunday (our Romanian presentation and meal). We were catering for 80. Lots of veg to chop, meat trays to make and sausages to cook. I figured if we had 2 helpers we might be able to finish by noon. God blessed us with three helpers and we did indeed finish at noon. The work was made light. The fellowship was amazingly sweet. Isn't God good to speak to us through friends in mundane tasks?

Saturday evening, sixteen of us got on the church mini-bus to travel 2 hours to a Casting Crowns concert. Believe me when I say, GOD SHOWED UP! First I had two hours to visit with my husband without children. Yay God! Then the concert itself just ministered. I took notes (at a concert a rocking-dancing-stay-on-your-feet type affair!). German took notes (truly, this was a concert not a conference). I was totally blessed. God added to my presentation for Sunday in a tangible way, and the fruit of that would be seen on Sunday. But mostly, we knew that we had been in the presence of God and He totally enjoyed our worship. Isn't God good to speak to us in our energetic offerings of worship?

We dropped into our beds at 1 AM, realizing we are not as young as we once were. But, again, God showed up with immediate sleep. That is not a norm for either of us! Isn't God good to speak to us in rest?

Sunday German, the girls and I led the entire service as well as hosted the lunch. Again, extra help arrived to make light of the final meal preparation before church. The service was filled with technological logistics---switching from one speaker to another, video, powerpoint, two little girls holding and using microphones, the praise band and instruments. There were so many places that things could go wrong, but nothing did. The message was well received and a couple of creative things should have helped people walk away and not forget. Eighty people ate lunch, and food was sent home with at least twenty of them. God multiplied the food over and over, because we had so much left yet everyone had ate their fill. Good funds were raised for the charity. Isn't God good to speak in clarity of message and logistics of church services?

My good friend, Jewel, had a baby boy on Halloween night. He is the most beautiful creation one could behold! Monday evening I spent an hour just cuddling him while Flower played with his fingers, absolutely enthralled with the perfect smallness of them. Isn't God good to speak through new life?

All week, my quiet time has "Godincidently" landed on verses that are absolutely specific to decisions that are being made in our life. Daily, I am reminded of God's control and my need to just trust. Daily, I am reassured that "today" is handled. Daily. Isn't God good to speak in His Word?

Yesterday I sat with a friend, sharing and praying over things that are happening in each of our lives. She shared an illustration she had heard over the weekend that exactly described the state of my heart. It was a hopeful illustration. It was a word of God. Isn't God good to speak through faithful friends?

His Word, friends, concerts, help and fellowship, newborn babies. They all allowed God speak to me the past ten days. I am so thankful that God has brought my heart to a place where I was able to listen to Him. How is He speaking to you? Are you able to hear?


Iris at Grace Alone is the hostess each week for Thankful Thursday. Go, peruse the posts of thankful hearts. You will be blessed!

11 comments:

Denise said...

Such a great thankful post, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I'm so glad you were different and wrote about the amazing and wonderful things God is doing! We NEED to see those!

I'm so glad the dinner/charity was successful!

What a Thankful Thursday list! LOVE it!

Kristin said...

Stories like this one minister to me.

Grammy said...

This is a wonderful post.
Thank you.

Laurie Ann said...

Oh, God's blessings are just all around you! I loved your post. Happy Thankful Thursday!

Debbie Petras said...

I'm also thankful for faithful friends who pray for me and with me. I enjoyed visiting your blog and will return.

Amy said...

Doesn't it feel SOOOO good when you know HE's right there, I mean right there! It feels testimonial EVERY time HE's right there with you! Glad you are on fire this week! We should always keep looking....HE's always right there, if we'll just open our eyes....You write beautifully!

Bonnie said...

What an amazing post!!! I am really being challenged by people today to see God in every thing that happens and I often forget to do that. Thank you for sharing!! (by the way? Casting Crowns are about my most favorite band and I LOVE their concerts!! They are so gifted of God for ministry!! So glad you were able to see them in person.) Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post. It truly is a blessing to read.

Paper Dali said...

Amen, sister. God is good, very good. A little unconventional in His methods, though ... No loud storm for Him, He is in the whisper. No gigantic attention-getting act for Him, He is in the quiet, humble acts. God is very good and He reaches out to us always in the ordinary, but He makes it extraordinary with His love and grace.

Thank you for sharing your thanks ... and inspiring us to be grateful.

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing all the ways God has spoken to you recently! He is indeed good and loving in all His dealings with His children. So many blessings! :)