Tuesday, February 19, 2008

In Other Words---A Mother's Prayer



"Momma prayed, momma cried, momma laid awake at night.
She would fight my battles while I slept away
Cause momma knew life is hard
without somebody on your side
I don't know how, but there is power in the way,
The way my momma prayed."

words and music by Jeremiah Olson of 40milesNorth


I grew up in a home of believers. But the only time I ever remember prayer in my home was grace before meals. I know that my mother would disappear into her room to have her devotional time, and I assume that she prayed during that time, but I never saw her or heard her pray for my brother or me. I have friends that speak of always knowing their mother was praying no matter what they did. They tell those stories as they tell of the protection they had or the draw back to Jesus (for the more wayward ones). There is always a comfort level and an awe as they speak reverently of their mothers' prayers. I don't have that in my mother. I have it in my grandmother. I know that she spent hours praying for her grandchildren and I could call her and tell her anything because she would be praying into it. I am grateful for that. Yet, I'm sad I don't have those memories of my mother.

So this is one area that I want to parent differently than my mom. I want my girls to know that I pray for them. I want them to see me pray, hear me pray, trust that I pray. We pray at the start of schooltime, and it thrills my heart to hear them offer their prayers alongside mine. We pray at mealtime. I make certain that I don't disappear behind a closed door for all of my devotional time--I want them to see me open my Bible, read, journal and pray. We pray at night before they go to bed. And you know what makes me most content as a mother---when I hear them pray over their dolls before they put them to bed. I know that they are receiving a heritage.

Someday, they will grow up and take steps into the world on their own. At that time I want them to have the security of knowing that their Mama is praying for them, like she always has and always will. That is one of the greatest gifts I can ever give them.

We will not hide them from their children;
we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD,
his power, and the wonders he has done.

He decreed statutes for Jacob
and established the law in Israel,
which he commanded our forefathers
to teach their children,

so the next generation would know them,
even the children yet to be born,
and they in turn would tell their children.

Then they would put their trust in God
and would not forget his deeds
but would keep his commands.
Psalm 78:4-7



Father, protect my little ones today, physically and spiritually. Even now in their tender hearts I pray you are planting seeds that will grow into faith and obedience. I pray that I will be a role model of an honest seeker and disciple. I pray that as they see me succeed and as they see me fail, they always see me turn to you. Help me to teach them Your ways and Your deeds of the past and today. Please give me wisdom as I help these young hearts to grow and know You. In Jesus' name....amen.

Heather at Titus 2 Woman is the hostess this week for In Other Words. Please come join us and be blessed.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

great points! I know I try and make sure they see my hubby praying, but never thought about them seeing me!

twinklemom said...

Excellent points!! We shouldn't be ashamed or nervous to pray before our children, no more than before anyone else...what better way to introduce them to God than through prayer and example!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! It is so important for us to model our faith before our children, to let them experience both our postive steps toward God and the times we stumble and fall. To teach them to stand firm and pray to God in the good times and bad.

My own girls are nearly grown and I have only been at this walking it out before them for the last five years. I had my Bible studies out the other night, reviewing some book selections I wanted to read - as I leafed through them, I found that I had completed 9 Bible studies and I am nearly done with the tenth in-depth study - during that time I have grown spiritually and they have, too. Even in the death of my son, my daughters grew beautifully closer to God rather than pulled away. They argue over which Bible each will take of mine when I am long since gone home... I mark my journey in my Bibles - today I have nearly 30 in several different translations. It does my heart good to see them now marking their own, wearing out the cover and praying over their lives, their family and friends. They are strong in their faith and receptive to my exhortation and encouragement in their walk with God. Oh Glory, I want to leave a legacy of faith and a better spiritual inheritance than the one that I am living today!

Blessings.

lori said...

I grew up that same way and I don't want them to NOT hear my prayers...I want them to KNOW I'm praying...the good time, the bad, the ups, the downs, the gifts, the faults...all of it!!

If they hear me, then maybe, just maybe they will carry that on!!
lori

Susan said...

This was great. Oh, you are so right, our children do need to "hear those prayers", literally.

I know your girls will remember, and their lives will be changed because of it!

Blessings...

Tonya said...

I'm from a similar background as far as a praying mother goes. I don't remember EVER hearing my mom pray. I can't say that outside of church I ever saw her crack her Bible either. PRAISE GOD that HE blessed us with GODLY grandmothers! We KNEW they were SOLD OUT to JESUS, and GREAT women of PRAYER! I cannot stress how important it is to let our little ones see and hear us PRAY!

THANKS FOR SHARING, and AMEN to what you said... =-)

Heather said...

I agree. It's not just about praying for them, but about passing on a heritage of prayer. I want my kids to see and hear me praying for them too.

Lana G! said...

Thank you Jesus for your Grandmother and for your mom as well. Thank God that through both these women you want to be a woman of prayer. Your kids will so appreciate it!

Susannah said...

You're a good Mamma! I like this: I make certain that I don't disappear behind a closed door for all of my devotional time--I want them to see me open my Bible, read, journal and pray. I was thinking about Ruth Bell Graham today, and how she did that too. Our children need to see us "in action." Blessings, e-Mom

Anonymous said...

What a lovely example you are setting for your girls! :)