Tuesday, February 28, 2012

In Other Words--Scaling the Circumstances

Welcome to In Other Words Tuesday!  I pray that something that you read here today will bless you.  Please, if you have time, write on the passage and add your link at the end of this post.  I would love to read your thoughts.  If you cannot write on the passage, I still encourage you to follow the links.  I am sure you will find blessings in what this amazing group of women write.

Photobucket

Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.


The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to tread on the heights.


Habakkuk 3:17-19

These were my Mom's favourite verses.  She called them the "farmer's wife passage" because so often it felt as if all the work was in vain, but that we were still to trust God.  It was not that the tender of the fields or grapes had not done the work, just that the crop failed.  Sometimes in spite of all of our effort we will not see the results we hope to see.  That does not give us an excuse to stop believing God. Actually it gives us more of an opportunity to demonstrate our faith and trust.

I am not a farmer's wife. I was, in fact, a pretty awful farmer's daughter wanting more security than the dependence on weather and land gave.  But I, too, have learned to love this passage. My "though the's" are quite different, but the end result is the same.

It comforted when we suffered through two miscarriages.
Though the womb remains empty...........I will be joyful in God my Saviour.

Watching events of 9/11 from a foreign land, it provided the refocus.
Though there is an ocean gulf between us, and the world seems to be falling apart around us....I will be joyful.

It gives stability in the ever-changing work field.
Though the job is ever changing and location is not stable....I will be joyful.

It provided strength during a serious crisis.
Though our friends desert us and we stand alone in our beliefs....I will be joyful.

And two years ago this last weekend, it provided the base for celebrating my mother's life. Her favourite passage read at her homegoing celebration.
Though my mother is called home and we experience the sorrow and grief....I will be joyful.

Trusting that God is our strength is a choice.  It is not determined by circumstance.  It is determined by intent in our hearts.  Intent.  We must determine that we will trust no matter what happens. In this year where I am focusing on intent, I am brought back to these verses time and time again.  I will be joyful. Not I am naturally joyful. Not the circumstance brings me joy. No, it is a choice. I choose to be joyful. I choose to trust. I choose to remember that God is sovereign, even when things seem dismal.

And when I make that choice, then I am able to scale the problem (the heights).  Then I am able to have sure-feet. It is my intent to believe that allows me to accept God's strength in the tough times.

Sometimes I need to be reminded of that.

I thought, maybe, some of you needed that reminder as well.

Father thank you for giving me sure-feet to scale the things in my life when I trust in you.  Help me to choose joy in all circumstances. Help me to keep my eyes on the source of my strength and not the source of my problems.  Give me your joy as I trust you more.  Amen.









7 comments:

Colline said...

Yes, trusting in God's strength is a choice. There are times when we forget this (sometimes in our darkest days), but when we remember it amazes how much we are able to pull through and to see the solutions to our obstacles. God bless.

LivingforGod said...

Thanks for this great reminder. Definitely a choice. I choose joy :).

Tami said...

We must determine that we will trust no matter what happens.

Amen, sister. It is not natural, but we DO have a choice. And yes, I needed the reminder. Thanks.

Vintage Whimsy Studio said...

I love these verses! Thank you for sharing these particular words from God today, as we all face uncertainty and struggle. I so appreciate your words of encouragement, dear friend. Praying for you today that you will have a blessed and joyous week. Nina @ mamas*little*treasures

Karen said...

I am a daughter of a farmer must be why I like this verse. Ha ha. I like it for what it demonstrates and teaches us. Thanks for hosting today

Kathleen said...

As a former farmers wife I can so relate... Your life is spent trusting the Lord and having contentment in Him... Beautiful verses. Have a wonderful day.

Robert J. Gerryts said...

Verses like that give an understanding as to why so many farmer's are Christians. Thanks for sharing your words.

-Bob