Saturday, December 31, 2011

Reflections on 2011 and Looking to 2012

Another year is coming to an end, and with it comes the inevitable reflections. Did I accomplish all I wanted to accomplish? Am I content with my actions? Where did I fail? What can I do about that? In what ways did God use me last year? Am I closer to Him today than I was on this date in 2010?

My words for 2011 were Ponder and Treasure. I have enjoyed the journey they led. I have found myself, out of character, recognizing and treasuring moments that I would easily have overlooked. I have intentionally made memories that could have easily been forgotten. I have marveled more at what Jewel and Flower are capable of doing and relished their joy a little more. As we moved (again) I chose to treasure the time we had been given rather than grieve the losses. It made my transition easier. I am treasuring the new friends that God is given us in our new home. I have treasured watching our previous church celebrate as they break ground on the new church building we were part of praying for and I have treasured celebrating with our new church as they dedicated the new church extension that we get to benefit from using. Most of all, we have treasured the blessing of Tree and how he is such a joy to our family. We have pondered what some of the changes mean for us and for our future. We have celebrated as God has shown glimpses of how he is restoring things that broke our hearts into ministry and understanding. In that, we ponder just how far some of that ministry will lead.

God has led me in a way through the year that I have not experienced before. The depth of peace that he has provided is something that I can never comprehend and will always treasure. Yet, to experience that peace I had to travel the rough paths that developed and proved it.

So, I had a little trepidation to consider what word God would lead me to this year. Words from the epistle of James drew me in:
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do. James 1:22-25
I believe, again this year I am being led to two words: INTENT and ACTION.

As you look around many Christian blogs, you will see calls to live intentionally in 2012. And although that is part of what I am seeing in these words, it actually runs along a different vein than many are using the word. I believe that I am being called to look INTENTLY at motivation, at the things I study, at the blessings I receive and the ministry opportunities that open to me. It is more than making decisions to be intentional. It is about looking at the intent (the motivation) behind my decisions. It is a heart issue. I want at the end of 2012 to be more aware of why I make the decisions I make and that the motivation behind my actions to be more and more based on what I see in scripture.

I don't know how it will look at the end of the year. I just know that it should look different than it does now. I look forward to seeing what God lays in my path as I seek him, intently.

1 comment:

eph2810 said...

What powerful words, Miriam. I love what you said about looking at the motivation of our decisions. I need to remember that while I am earnestly seek the Lord in 2012.