Friday, May 17, 2013

Five Minute Friday--Song



Time for another 5 Minute Friday writing blitz with Lisa Jo Baker.  Today's prompt is SONG.

Go:
It's just a song. That's what I tell myself as I stand there with the tears, suddenly, unexplainedly falling down my cheeks.  Just a stupid (or beautiful or cheesy) song.

Yet, here I am again. Filled with emotions. Songs trigger memories and emotions in me quicker than anything else.

"Truth Will Rise" and I weep---hopeful that it will, months later grateful that it did.
"Saved a Wretch Like Me"--why me, I wonder. Why? Grateful tears flowing.
"You are my Sunshine" I whisper as I remember those first glorious moments of holding my baby.
"Listen to my Heart" I sigh as I cannot find the words to praise or petition.

Songs. Reach into the part of me that needs to release--to sing--and allows the emotions to flow when I am trying to hide them. Makes me vulnerable and strong.

That's why songs are my favourite part of worship services. They prepare me. They empty me. They fill me. All at the same time.

And why music is always on in my home. It calms. It evens. It lays the groundwork for my life.

It's never just a song. It's always something more.

Wonder what song I'll sing today?

Stop!


4 comments:

Rebekah@weliveinspired said...

I am your neighbor today at FMF :) Hi! I can SO relate to this. I too am very touched by music. I can hear a song and almost feel like I felt on a certain day (with memories). Songs can also make me emotional. Music is beautiful that way. I have no clue what song I will be singing later today (yesterday it was Joni Mitchell's Both sides now that was in my head :) ). I really enjoyed reading what you wrote. You will have to tell me what song you find yourself singing later ;).

Tam said...

The joy of music. I can't go a day without it. There was a time in my life when I chose a song that would set the tone for the year ahead for me. I only remember two of those tunes now, but I did it for 5 years: No One's Gonna Break My Stride (can't remember the artist) and Clean (Depeche Mode). Songs most certainly have the ability to change things.

Jessica said...

I love this! It's so true. It's amazing how music can really hit you in the heart. The other day I was listening to the radio and heard a song my mom used to play for me on her record player as a kid. I felt like I was five again. Ah, memories. :)

Anonymous said...

"makes me vulnerable and strong"...the perfect sentiment. I enjoyed reading your post and will be back again. Stopping by from FMF.