Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Re-entry drama and humor, post 2

Why on earth do we not include sales tax in the price that is posted???


I totally get that sales tax is used in many States.  We had value added tax on almost everything we bought in England.  We paid an extra 17.5% tax on everything!  BUT, the price that was on the tag already had the VAT added in.  So, I could look at the tag and know how much cash I needed in hand as I approached the register.


Here I am constantly getting to the register, planning to pay with cash, and then looking at the salesperson like they have three heads because the total they give me is not the total I'm prepared to pay.


It makes me crazy.

But, I'm not alone--because my girls are always saying the same thing.

So, if you work in retail and you happen to have someone like me staring blankly at you when you give the total, please be patient.  Maybe they are adjusting to separate sales tax from price. *sigh*



Warning that the next post in this series is a little more serious or bittersweet.

*sheep picture from www.morguefile.com (svklimkin)
 **The original intro to this series: Coming back to the US after so much time away has led to its own set of drama, and often humorous situations.  A couple of times a month I hope to record some of those times.  Mostly this is for our own sense of remembering later, but it also might help someone else who is encountering a "new-old" situation.

No comments: