Tuesday, September 11, 2007

IOW---Where is Your Priority?




"The worth and excellency of a soul is to be measured by the object of its love."
Henry Scougal (The Life of God in the Soul of Man ), quoted by John Piper in The Pleasures of God


If I were to ask someone what my passions were, based upon how they see me living my life, I believe they would say: family, needle arts and teaching the Bible (in that order). Those are the things that take up most of my time and bring me the most joy. God has convicted me this year of the order of my apparent priorities, and I am working at being more diligent about Bible Study and teaching and allowing hobbies to follow after that. Because where we spend our time, tells so much about us.

I hear people often say, "I'd never have enough time to do *x*" I like to answer, "do you find time to go out with friends? How about watch the telly?" I used to think I didn't have time to read, until I figured out how much time I wasted watching things that didn't matter to me on the television. I used to think that there was not enough time to take the walk with the girls, or just play in the back garden, until I learned that my hobbies and even housework could be left for those precious times. What we spend our time doing, tells the story of our priorities.

I look at it this way: If the object of my deep love is my children, what does it say to them when I say "I can't play I'm dusting, or vacuuming or mopping?" It says to their child-sized ability to discern "cleaning house is more important than us." So I'm learning to say, "I'll put this in the washing machine and we'll play a game or read a book." I'm learning that vacuuming can be done when they are resting, or playing alone after I've given them the one-on-one they need. My love for my children takes precedence. I can see it in their eyes and body language when it is not. I don't want to be a "too busy" mom. So I alter my behavior to show them that they are the object of my love.

In the very same way, if the object of my deepest love is God, am I showing that to Him (and those around me) by how I act? Do I prioritize Bible Study and quiet time over chores or *gasp* blogging? Am I constantly saying to Him, "let me finish this project then I'll get to You?" Too often, I am. I make the time for the things that are important to me--and I need to be making more time for Him.

The things I delight in determine how my life is viewed. Being a hard worker, caring for my home, making beautiful stitched pieces, baking lovely desserts are all things that I enjoy. But I want, when people look at my life and describe it, for them to say "She loved God passionately...and she cared and loved her family with all her heart." Those are legacies worth leaving.

In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life. Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge.
1 Timothy 6:18-19


O God, how I love You! I want my life to reflect that deep love for you. I want the people around me to notice Your love spilling out of my life--and they can only notice it if I am cultivating the relationship. Place within me the deep desires to carve out the time and space for a relationship to grow. I want my little girls to see my love for You. I want them to always feel like the priority in my life, and for them to desire the relationship with You as well. Help to organize my priorities so that they do not fall in behind anything else--not chores, not hobbies, not responsibilities. Organize my life with You as Head, and family as next and then all other things falling into place. Take my life and make it wholly Yours. Amen.

This week's In Other Words is hosted by Laurel Wreath. Please come and be blessed as others discuss this challenging quote.

12 comments:

lori said...

I too posted on "how" I often miss the opportunity to show the love...The prayer at the end was beautiful...I am copying it an pasting it in the family journal..what a lovely reminder..
you blessed me today.
lori

Lori said...

Oh amen!!! When I had very young children I struggled with this...but I had to learn to prioritize and go from there. I knew if I did not get my daily filling from the Lord, I was no good to anyone. And if I went to bed that night not spending any special family time, I was no good to my children. Praise God He gives us mercy and grace to begin again, and again.

Excellent thoughts today.

Denise said...

Precious, thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

Well said. Your prayer echoes in my heart too that I may reflect in my life my love for Jesus by the things I do and the choices I make.

Crystal said...

What a great post! Thank you so much for sharing! Thank you also for the kind words left on my blog!
Blessings

Grafted Branch said...

Oh, Mipa...how I *do* look forward to your IOW posts. This one is a good example as to why. Well said, Friend! ;)

Mrs. Pharris said...

Oh MiPa:

How beautifully convicting is your post! Thank you so much for sharing this. I'll be pondering it for some time.

Amydeanne said...

I can relate to this all to well! it's been on my heart lately... what do I want my children to know me for? loving the computer? tv? housework? or them?

eph2810 said...

Oh - what a beautiful prayer, MiPa - all I can amen to that.
Yes, I think I need to really look at my priorities and chop off what is non-essential...Thank you so much for sharing your heart.

Blessings to you and yours...

susan said...

Hi Miriam, there is a program on the protestant revolution again BBC 4 tonight - wednesday.

I don't know if it will help about Luther.

I'll have to miss it as I'll be out.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi MiPa,
You always speaks words of wisdom. I'm so electrified by your prayers. Shows your tender intimacy with God. God bless you, your family, your ministry and all your activities for the glory of God. Thanks for the wonderful post.

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy my visits here. You refresh me and I always leave feeling inspired and that my struggles are not unique but are shared. This relieves so much of the burden. Thank you for your example and your prayer...My life also continue to be organized with God at the head.